Help I f*#cked up

cichlidkid

when my festaes died I went though a complete overhaul in my tank, everything was stripped down, washed with hot (sometimes boiling) water, rinsed with vinager and then washed again.

gravel was changed out for sand, all filter media was replaced and the aquaclears where scrubbed down (and steamed)

now I have my ray in the tank and she is doing great, a bit on the scrawney side as she wont touch earthworms (isnt that wierd?) but happy and healthy none the less.

there was only one thing that I missed in my meticulus sterilization.

the fluval hoses

I even left the hoses dangling off the tank (attatched to the aqua-stop or whatever its called) these hoses have not had water running through them since the strip-down but they have deffenently had humidity and probably some water sitting in them due to the aqua-stop.

so anyway I finaly got my new impeller, put it in and seter up, compleatly forgeting about the hoses.

as soon as it started I knew I was in sh*t. death started pouring out of the hoses, (old bits of slime coat stuff that looks like lemonade pulp) this stuff was floating all around just as the festaes where on their way out.

by the time I got to the right cord the water was coming out clear. so I left it, I figure the damage has already been done.

I did a 50%water change and added 9 tbs of salt.

what else can I do? normaly I would throw a fu*ckload of preventative crap in but those kinds of meds would probably kill the ray even faster than this sickness.

how long have the hoses been sitting unused? Chances are that what ever killed your Festae would have died in the stagnant water in the hoses without a host. The crud from the hoses is a normal buildup of slime that ocurs over time and when dried out flakes off the inside.

if it occers over time why did it just show up and kill my festae's (when the tank was running and like 15x per hour

its been sitting there for.... um like 2 months give or take?

im just paranoid cause I lost my 2 favorite most exp*nisve fish to this, and I dont want it to happen again.

Edited by cichlidkid

I would stop focusing on what killed your festae. Get your ray eating shrimp and not earthworms and keep it healthy. If your ray is healthy it will not be suceptible to any disease.

Get it eating blackworms, or frozen bloodworms and then mix and freeze some with shrimp. This will get your ray eating shrimp. If that ray is fat, you are golden.

I am not sure what killed your festae, but I imagine it was something that would not be stored in your fluval hoses.

dont worry tim, she's on the shrimp, I feed it to her twice a day and before I go to school I drop in a chunk of bloodworms for her to graise on.

damn thing eats way better than I do.

I did "forget it and move on" thats why I MOVED ON to some other fish (like my ray and my piranha's) so I FORGOT to clean out the hoses. :D

I just thought that something may have festered or something.

oh btw I dont believe the hoses killed them thats cinima sh*t. infact I do belive I saw that movie, wasnt it "when canister hoses strike back"?

Edited by cichlidkid

I seriously doubt it Keegan. Like I said, you should be good to go. :thumbs:

Now, if you had a full canister of funky water festering for the past couple of months, I'd be worried. :unsure:

Edited by dunl

by the way, steve wont touch NLS do you think I could hide them in the shrimp?

good to know, thanks rudy

Tim, after cutting back on your fist-full a day of the 6mm TherA, did you also switch formulas as I had suggested? Just curious, as lots of rays eat the 3mm pellets & wafers with no issues.

Never said a fistful Neil you did. By feeding the Rays the amount you suggested did not help, just less runs. They also started biting each other and acting aggressively. This would mean they are not full. I tried the normal formula and still had issues. I did not try wafers.

I would also like to hear from someone else who actually has their rays on NLS. I sure can't seem to find anyone.

Edited by rudy

I was going by the info that you posted in this thread:

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=8561

Servings are 1/3 what I was feeding before.
As far as how much I feed I have not counted pellets, but it is a quarter hand full now.
approximately 70-80 and yes I feed daily.

Certainly sounded to me like you were initially feeding them by the fist-full. (70-80 6mm pellets x 3)

Either way, you were overfeeding that particular formula by massive amounts, and I mean massive. It's possible that by doing so you've caused your fish to have a negative reaction to this food, hard to say, but I would imagine that their innards took a beating while they were being stuffed with such a large amount of food, especially a food that they had never eaten before. I've yet to personally see or hear of any carnivorous species having any type of negative reaction to NLS, so this is a first for me.

I would also like to hear from someone else who actually has their rays on NLS. I sure can't seem to find anyone.

I don't believe that there's more than a hand full of people on this forum that even keep rays, let alone feed them pellet food, so I suspect that you'll be waiting some time for a response on AA. Having said that, I was talking to Christian last night & he told me that they have been feeding a couple of the rays in the store NLS with no issues.

Also, the gal who posted the following comment seemed to have positive results with her zoos captive rays & the NLS wafers. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=80875

I haven't spoken to Tara over this past year, but here's what she had sent me in the past:

http://www.cichlid-food-canada.com/test2.html

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you.