holiday pet sitting

Goldfish Girl

hello

i was just wondering if anyone else on this site is nervous about leaving the fishroom unattended or with a 'pet sitter' who doesn't know anything about fish except what you tell them. i'm going to try to get back ASAP from holidays because leaving the fish for longer then a weekend and all hell breaks out in the basement. just wondering if anyone has suggestions for how to 'prep' fish sitters or on the other hand any holiday fish disasters so i know what i could have to look forword too :cry: jk.

if i had one tank i suppose i could sucker in a store to take them, but i don't know who has room for a nine pound koi among other things. i'm going with the pet sitter this year, who is mostly here for the cat but will feed the fish too. i'm probably doing the ziploc bag thing so that over feeding will not become a problem... although somehow i think it still will.

anyway, anyone else in the same situation? what are you doing for the fish while your gone?

Hire me :D I do pet sitting. I'm actually dog/house sitting this week :thumbs:

I would be scared leaving my tanks with a non fish person too. I guess if I had to I'd write everything out for them and have everything labeled. Then meet with them before hand to explain and go over everything. I would think most "professional" petsitters would have some knowledge of aquarium keeping.

If you're going to be gone for five days or fewer, don't bother with a sitter. Do a large feeding and a large water change before you go, and the fish will be fine on their own.

For more than five days... Still do a large water change before you go. Unless you're going for three weeks or more, you shouldn't need to have your sitter do a water change for you (missing one water change is not going to harm your fish unless your tanks get really filthy really quickly).

Use pill boxes or film cannisters and measure out the food that should be fed. Label the film cannisters with the appropriate day if you don't feed every day. Then, hide the rest of the fish food so the sitter cannot decide to overfeed.

Get timers to control the lights, so the sitter doesn't have to worry about turning them on/off. There shouldn't be anything else for the sitter to do except visually inspect the tank for leaks.

I ask my VERY GOOD neighbour to watch my fishies. She is very knowledgeable about fish and takes great care of the fishies in her care (some may say that they are fat! LOL)

Js

awww thanks Jonah. You take good care of my animals too.

Edited by Kim