Garlic & the Prevention of Disease

RD.

The subject of using garlic in fish food seems to come up quite often, with some hobbyists suggesting that the main reason that fish food manufacturers use this ingredient is strictly to enhance palatability of the food.

In many cases this may be true, but this is certainly not true of all fish foods. The main reason for such a large inclusion rate in certain brand/s is due to garlics anti-parasitic qualities. When used in larger quantities, this raw ingredient can be expensive, hence the reason why many manufacturers skimp on the amount of garlic that they use.

Over the past decade there has been a number of studies involving garlic and fish food and the anecdotal evidence with regards to feeding fish allicin complex (the active ingredient in garlic) to rid them of parasites appeared to be quite strong. The following is a link to a more recent study that confirms what some people have been saying all along. http://www.scielo.br/pdf/jvatitd/v12n2/v12n2a03.pdf

A. M. Shalaby et al. EFFECTS OF GARLIC (Allium sativum) AND CHLORAMPHENICOL ON GROWTH PERFORMANCE, PHYSIOLOGICAL PARAMETERS AND SURVIVAL OF NILE TILAPIA (Oreochromis niloticus).

J. Venom. Anim. Toxins incl. Trop. Dis., 2006, 12, 2, p.196

While the document linked to above is a rather long read, in the end the authors state:

Finally, from the obtained results it could be recommended that garlic (Allium Sativum) may be used as a growth promoter and antibiotic for the treatment or prevention of diseases and for enhancing fish tolerance to environmental stress (62); therefore garlic powder should be added to the diet of freshwater fish.

In this particular study the inclusion of garlic at a rate of 3% has shown to increase the overall digestibilty of protein, carbohydrates, and fat (ie; better growth), as well as to lower the total bacteria count within the intestine, muscles, as well as the tank water itself.

Being one to only use medication as a last resort, I find that garlic is a great preventative solution to keeping your fish (and water) free from outbreaks of various disease causing pathogens.

The other day when I was making up a new batch of spinach shrimp salad I was thinking about putting some fresh garlic in it. Now that I have read this I think I will on the next batch. The question is how much?

I'll have to try and figure out how much to add to make 3% My batches of food are not an exact science as to quantities, but the fish don't seem to mind.

• 7 months later...