Neil will love this thread

rudy

I moved him to the tank downstairs and it has been 3 hours and he is doing really well. The move was a gamble but I really didn't have a choice.

No idea what happened here. As I say the Ammonia never registered anything, however the way he was acting I just assumed. Personally I would not reccomend this stuff as even after my immense water changes there is still a ton of debris... Either he puked it out, or it just broke apart. There was not a lot fed Neal as it was the first time feeding them so I was just trying it.

Does not make sense that the ammonia would spike though. Food smells fine, does not seem rank....I am baffled. Anyway they ray is fine, and I am sure there was other reasons than the food, but just the same I am going to switch brands. Only other thing I can think of is maybe the female beat him up?

Perhaps i could send you some of the food Neal? It was 5 mm soft and moist krill

Edited by rudy

I was wondering if that was the formula. In my humble opinion that particular formula is far too high in fat content to be used as a staple food (and keep in mind that the 15.5% is listed as the MIN amount, not Max) but having said that I know a number of Frontosa keepers that supplement with that exact formula, and I have never read or heard about anyone having any issues with it. (at least none that they have noticed) The ingredient listing for this formula is incomplete, and most "soft & moist" foods contain propylene glycol, or glycerol to keep them soft & moist. I couldn't imagine that either of those ingredients would have caused such an immediate negative reaction in your rays either, and at this point it's impossible to say with any certainty exactly what caused the problem?

Just glad to hear that they have weathered the storm!

Edited by RD.

Doing really well. I am convinced however it was not the food.

I have no idea what caused the rays to act this way as an ammonia spike would be very unlikely.

Just glad to have my buddy back/

• 2 months later...

Read the comment below on another forum & thought that you might be interested. I believe that this was the same soft & moist formula that you had bought, Tim. Mycotoxins can form quickly in a food with high moisture & fat content, and not enough preservatives to keep things stable. Ken's soft & moist does indeed contain preservatives, and always did, even if none are added at the point of manufacture. What Ken obviously doesn't realize is that raw ingredients such as fish meal contain preservatives from the get go. This was with a brand new container of food. Buddy below lost $150 worth of fish.

"There is no mistake about the food killed the fish, I did see the white covering some of the

pellets and didnt think nothing of it till the fish got sick and I looked at white and it was getting

worse! I didnt know it was mold, new food, called ken and told him about it and he said it was

mold because he used no preservitive in the food, and told me not to feed the fish any more

because it may harm my fish and to throw away the rest, on the new packs that came back were labled keep in freezer, the first packs had nothing written on them. The mold killed my

fish no mistake about that. But I have to say Kens has good service, this was a new food for

him at the time. Im sticking to NLS for africans and give ken some sales with the goldfish

food. Good luck everyone!"