Just wondering

Slough Shark

I have my 25 Gallon tank and was planning on doing an Amazonian Biotope in it. But I saw some Boesmani Rainbowfish at AquaGiant and fell in love with them instantly. I did some quick research found out their heritage and what have you. I also found that they should be kept in a 30 Gal tank, would my 25 Gallon tank suffice? If not, could I keep Praecox Rainbowfish instead? I saw them on the page too, are they common?

If anyone has kept either of these fish, or even has done a bit of research, I would really appreciate your input. These fish are great and I'd really love to keep them!

I have approx. 8 species of rainbowfish in tanks of 75 gal and 50 gal. I would not recommend bosemani for a 25 gal. It is simply not enough swimming room. You could go with praecox, threadfin, furcata or gertrude rainbowfish which are smaller and would be fine in a 25 gal. Make sure you get enough because they are schooling fish.

Thanks guys, thats not too bad at all, could I keep both Praecox and Threadfin together?

I was also considering Killifish, could I keep more or less of them in my tank? Wich species is most common to find in LFS? Are they more common that Neon and Threadfin Rainbowfish?

BTW either of these scenarios would be a Biotope, so for the Killifish idea, could I keep at least one African Butterfly Fish, what other fairly small fish are from the west african area? If I was to keep the Killies, could I keep these three species together: Gardneri, Blue Gularis, and Pnachax?

For the Rainbowfish scenario, what small fishes could I put in with them, could I even have both species in the tank? I'm going for the Australian/Indonesian variety of rainbowfish- not the Madagascan ones.

Edited by Slough Shark

Thanks guys, thats not too bad at all, could I keep both Praecox and Threadfin together?

These two species would be good and for the most part are readily available in Calgary anyway.

I was also considering Killifish, could I keep more or less of them in my tank? Wich species is most common to find in LFS? Are they more common that Neon and Threadfin Rainbowfish?

BTW either of these scenarios would be a Biotope, so for the Killifish idea, could I keep at least one African Butterfly Fish, what other fairly small fish are from the west african area? If I was to keep the Killies, could I keep these three species together: Gardneri, Blue Gularis, and Pnachax?

For the Rainbowfish scenario, what small fishes could I put in with them, could I even have both species in the tank? I'm going for the Australian/Indonesian variety of rainbowfish- not the Madagascan ones.

Did some research on them and found that these are the species I can keep in my 25 Gallon aquarium. I have decided to do the Rainbowfish not the killies just because they appeal to me more, now both my tanks could be Asian Biotopes, well ones Australian I guess. But nothing is for sure, I already planned a planted community tank that wont be happening, so this Australian Biotope may not happen either. here is the start of it anyways:

Australian/New Guinea Slow-moving Stream Biotope (25 Gal):

A Choice of a Shoal of Spotted, Threadfin, Neon (Praecox), or Ornate Rainbowfish, as well as any of the Blue-eye variety of Rainbowfish.

I still may use this tak for an Amazonian Biotope, as I just saw a tank full of Raphael Catfish and fell in love with them. I still have a bunch of cories that I am also fond of. I have 2 tanks but can only use one for the time being, I need a stand for the 25 Gal, and none of the Petstores in the area will take my fish, so I'm kinda screwed!

none of the Petstores in the area will take my fish,

Post them here under livestock.

I'll take it into consideration, thanks.

Well, I don't know what to do! The Golden Panchax Killies that I saw at AquaGiant were gorgeous, could I keep alot of them, or am a limited to one? If I can't keep many than I'll go with a shoal of Rainbows, but I like the look of the Panchax better than Neon Rainbows, maybe I'll have to count on impulse buying. next time I go there, I'll take a good long look at at each species.

The tank's setup is between:

Amazonian Biotope (25 Gal):

2 Bolivian Rams

4 Bronze Corydoras

2 Albino Corydoras

2 Otocinclus

1 Raphael/Talking catfish

Or

Australian/New Guinea Slow-moving Stream Biotope (25 Gal):

A Choice of a Shoal of Spotted, Threadfin, Neon (Praecox), or Ornate Rainbowfish, as well as any of the Blue-eye variety of Rainbowfish.

Or

Tanganyika Killifish Biotope (25 gal):

I don't know anything about the needs, habits, habitat, or really anything about killies!! Need to get some tips and do more research!

Golden wonder killies are fine in a group,All males or all females. If you put a large group together there is a good chance you're gonna wind up with one mated pair. The dominant male will kill everything else. Hence the name Killiefish.

Ok so with regard to the killies, I would like to stock it with some Golden Panchax, I doubt the LFS will know whether they're male or female (I generally know more about fish than they, sad really), so how will I know the difference between male and female. When you talked about the dominant male killing the others, did you mean when there are females to mate with, or when there is just a group of all males. How many should I get? What other fish from the area can i get?

I'd like to make each plan as foolproof and accurate as possible and then choose one for the tank.

Edited by Slough Shark