Boop food

JORG

I've got a group of 10 Ophthalmotilapia boops (neon streak) I've been feeding them NLS optinum flakes and all is good except now I added 6 L.Nkambes and 6 Cyprichromis blue flash to the tank and the Nkambes do not like the flake(tried for a long time in other tank) So I wanted to know if anyone has had any problems with NLS cichlid formula(sinking pellets) with the more sensitive tanganyikans ?

Can't wait to see picks.

So I wanted to know if anyone has had any problems with NLS cichlid formula(sinking pellets) with the more sensitive tanganyikans ?

What kind of problems were you expecting? If your boops will eat it the 1mm pellets, you're good to go.

Well I was worried about them getting bloat .I'm old school and the only food I used in the past was aquarian flakes and Hikari bio gold and never had any problems so with switching to a new product I will have some questions.

You have no worries about NLS causing bloat, none. I also wouldn't consider any of your fish to be overly sensitive in the diet department, although your cyps may do better on the flakes or small fish formula (due to the size of their mouths and their feeding style). The Lepidiolamprologus Nkambae should have no issues with a 1mm pellet, and certainly no issues with any of the NLS formulas.

My advice would be to mix it up, a bit of each (flakes/small fish/cichlid formula), and see what each species prefers.

Did you get your boops from Kyle? (African_Fever) If so you can contact him as he's been feeding his Tangs NLS for a few years now. Also, a local breeder here in RD has been breeding Tangs for several years now, and feeding NLS, and never had any bloat issues, not even with species classified as strict herbivores, such as Tropheus moorii. At one time I believe that he had 5 different tropheus species on the go. He's also bred boops, cyps, and numerous other tangs, most of them WC fish, and not a single case of bloat.

If you got your L. Nkambae at Golds, chances are that Albert has already been feeding them the 1mm Cichlid pellets.

HTH

Edited by RD.

Thanks Neil The Nkambes love the pellets they just won't take to the flake I was just being cautious better to ask 10 stupid questions than break out the clout.

better to ask 10 stupid questions than break out the clout.

No worries, I agree! :D

I wrote the following article a few years back (before I was selling NLS) and it should clear up any concerns that you might have about NLS causing bloat. http://www.cichlid-food-canada.com/article.html

The creator of NLS has been raising African cichlids (including Tropheus) for over 30 years now, so you can rest assured that he has "hands on" experience in how to keep these species healthy. His fish room consists of approx 4 million gallons. ;)

That's not to say that one can't have health issues in their tanks when feeding NLS, but it won't be the food that's causing the problem. Over the past few years I've fed numerous species, including those classified as strict herbivores, an exclusive diet of NLS, and never once had any health issues in any of my tanks.

Thank's again Neil. I really like the NLS foods(don't miss presoaking the Hikari pellets at all I'll be using the last 16ozs to bait my minnow traps)

I feed my Boops everything under the sink but have a staple of Nls. they get a treat a day like Mysis, Cyclopeezes, brinshrimp and bloodworms.

I keep alot of the more sensitive fishes like the Xenos. ochrogenys and Callochromis Pleurospillis and they all eat Nls fine aswell as the treats.

Bloat is not a desiese but a precursor to too much stress.