Betta fry

spcy

I have 4 remaining bettas from my NOV/06 hatch. They are now almost 11 weeks old. They look great fully developed fins and tails, Look like realy nice adults through a magnifying glass, Only one problem, 2 are about 1/4" and 2 are 3/4" long is this normal for fry of this age. They are in a 15 gal. tank.

"The explanations for this are far from simple. Scientific studies have proven that most fish, including bettas, excrete a hormone that acts as an inhibitor to growth. In the betta community it has widely been said that this growth hormone stifles the potential of smaller fish in the spawn, giving the advantage to the larger, healthier fry."

This is from http://www.bettysplendens.com/articles/pag...?articleid=1769

They need daily water changes. Sue

That is good info but power growing fry in my opinion is like puting them on steroids. They look good at the time of show or sale but quality is poor and lifespan is short. I'll stick to the slow grow method. Thanks anyway my short little friend. OOPS! after the short comment yo might hunt me down and beat me to death with a wet noodle, or worse sick my wife on me.

Yeah... when raising fry, WCs are the key to growth. Not just hormones, but any amount of nitrates will keep them from reaching their full potential too... at least that's what I've learned.