large fish that get along?

Fresh fish

so i was thinking of a couple jack dempseys, a couple firemouths and an oscar or 2, would that work??

IMO:

Personally i think 2 oscars to a min 90g. by themselves is adequate.

being a 120g tank is not alot bigger and i believe the combo of fish you have listed

may be overstock for that tank.

i know Oscars,JD's,FM's can all get along (temperments pending), but to have a pair of each in a 120 i believe is too much.

Depending on which fish you like the most i would go with a pair of them. and maybe 1 of the others.

I think 2 JD's and an Oscar would be pretty cool (im not big on FM's).

you could probably get away with another fish or 2, maybe even what you listed, but it would need massive filtration and a strict, well maintained PWC schedule.

I have 2 Oscars in a 90g, albeit they are only 5" now, when they are full grown they will dwarf the 90g.

i have an AC110 and a Rena XP3 on it & 30% weekly pwc , even though it is adequate iam going to add 1 more AC 110.

Adequate Filtration=good,Overfiltration=best.

The absolute minimun for 1 adult oscar is 55 gallons(to support the bioload of the fish), so respectively 2 would require 110 gallons,(this is the stated minimum, so it would require maximum water changes) which eats up most of your tank right off the bat. For perspective I have one 11" Oscar who is just over a year old, 1 4" Green Terror, & 1 4" Red Shoulder Peacock in a standard 90 gallon(48x18x24). I currently have to do approx. 30gallons of water changes every 5 days, or I start to get nitrate issues. Not to mention if poor water quality is left unnoticed, Hole in the head disease can develop, and quickly. This I know from experience, early in his growout I was a very unaware fishkeeper, and I realized how quickly HITH can set in, luckily I caught it quick, before any major pitting set in.

I'm not trying to scare you off Oscars, this is the most interesting fish I have ever owned, you'll start to wonder who is watching who for entertainment, just be aware they are poo poo machines.

As far as tankmates I won't presume to tell you what you can or can't put in, Like I said I have a 4" red shoulder peacock with mine, and they say africans are no no's. Your fish will make their own choices, mine killed a small male Green Terror but looks after the female GT like it's his lil baby. I also had luck with a convict and a salvini, but the little fish fought each other so they had to go.

If you want more Oscar info check out www.oscarfish.com , It helps with tank size and requirements.

Sorry to ramble, but I made my mistakes so just hoping to spare some one else the headaches. :D

oh yeah and what are you thinking for filtration?

I am running 2 ac 300's and 1 cascade 1200

Edited by murmade

thanks for the replies, at the moment i have 2 fluval 405 on the tank and it is stocked lighty at the moment, i also do 50-70% wc weekly so matinence regime is not an issue, i may try, not sure if im gonna switch yet or not, just playin with the possibilities at the moment.

so as to reading a little on the oscar site, there area a few possibilities, i like these two, with 2 oscars 3 tinfoil barbs, and 3 clown loaches,. or 2 oscars, 5-6 silver dollars, and 3 clown loaches, as it would be nice to have a couple large fish and a school of med fish, hmm, decisions decisions, haha, thanks for the help. FF

Edited by Fresh fish