To Tetra or Not

Guppygirl

Hi everyone, I have a question. I was thinking of trying some kind of tetra in my ten gallon tank. I right now have three tanks of guppies and one tank of guppy/platies that is in solid quarintine due to intestinal worms brought in from a seemingly heatlthy platy. She died. :cry: So I will have them all quarintine for the next 3-6 months as that is what some on the web recommend due to the life cycle of the parasite. I would be moving one set of my guppies out of their tank to make room. I read that the tetra family needs soft acidic water to live. How does one go about doing that. I know that peat makes the water acidic but is there anything to make it soft? Besides a water softening system. I use Grande Prairie water with conditioners for the tanks now, but figure that the water is fairly hard because my snail shell is not decomposing while they live. So is it worth it to try tetras or am I going down the wrong fish path with my water perimeters. The second option I was thinking of was dwarf goumies(sp). Any ideas would be greatly apppriciated. Thanks

There are a number of tetras that do fine in hard water eg. black skirts or bueno aires, you should be fine with these. Other tetras you would have to check what their water is like. Hope this helps.

I have Buenos aires, and neons in a planted com. tank with ph of 7.5 and hardness of 120 and have no problems, They're happier than pigs in sh$t.

I'm keeping rummy-noses and neons in Okotoks water: pH 8.3, KH 14 (according to the books, I should only be able to keep African cichlids in this water). They adapt to it. Just make sure the pH is constant, that's the important thing. DON'T use pH down, whatever you do; it'll make the water change too rapidly for the fish to handle, and you'll have to muck around with the water all the time. If you're really worried about it, you can add some peat to the filter, but I've never had any problems with my tetras in this water.

Edited by Osprey