Who wants a shark - a real one?

2manytanks

There's a guy in town with a couple of Black Tips... real ones. Big Al's (Calgary) sold him four, two Cascade filters, and told him they would grow to fit their environment. You can imagine the state of them now.

There's a guy in town with a couple of Black Tips... real ones. Big Al's (Calgary) sold him four, two Cascade filters, and told him they would grow to fit their environment. You can imagine the state of them now.

Seriously??? have you seen them?

I've thought about keeping sharks many times in the past, and am brainstorming a bit right now about it actually.

The LFS here has a black tip reef shark that's about 26-28" right now. He's got it in (I think) a 700 gallon tank; 10'x4'x4', and was told 'by those in the know' that it can live in there for about 3 years. Judging by it's growth in the last couple months (in a 300 gallon before he put it into the 700 gallon), I'd say if he gets two years he's doing great.

Cat sharks are different from the more active sharks; they're much more sedentary and can survive in much smaller tanks (though that being said, I doubt many aquarists who buy the catshark/banded shark egg cases or young are ever going to keep them in much more than a 240).

I personally have a really hard time justifying keeping any pelagic (active) sharks in any sized aquarium. Even in the big tank at the LFS here, just watching the shark doing circles all day you can't help but feel sorry for it. But that being said, ever since I first talked with owner about it, I've thought about building a tank for it.

My thought, is that the fish is already in captivity and he's going to have no place to go once he outgrows the tank he's currently in. I (hopefully) wouldn't be encouraging the store owner to get another just because he had a place to put it once it outgrew the tank, but it would just serve as an example of how large a tank is 'needed' for these fish (even though I know that it would be much smaller than ideal). My thought right now, is basically half my garage as a plywood/glass tank, roughly 12'x6-8'x4-6'. Just thoughts right now, but as the shark gets closer to outgrowing the tank it's in, it may become a reality.