Newbie concerns

bigmac

Hello All.

I have had my live Fiji rock in my tank now for almost two months. I have slowly introduced some livestock and corals (it will never end).

I noticed today that there are 5 to 6 small (1/4") white tubelike creatures rapidly swimming in my tank. They move so fast that I can't really get a good look at them for identification. I would have assumed that any hitchhikers would have shown up before now. Am I to be concerned with this? Parasites of some sort? Please advise if you have any ideas or suggestions.

Also my Naso Tang has four very small white markings on his snout (yeah, I know, I know I'm not really technical yet in my descriptions) between his eyes. They are known for somewhat blotchy appearances at times but I want to catch any problems early. I (knock on wood) haven't had the displeasure of dealing with ich yet. The uniformity of these spots leads me to believe that this is normal, however it's best to ask around. Anyone have the same markings on their Naso's? They have a pattern like the following:

. .

. . right between the eyes. These spots don't appear to be cottony or fuzzy as of yet.

Once he stays still long enough for me to snap a few pics I'll post them.

Thanks,

BigMac

• 2 weeks later...

My Naso has spot along the nose as well. All the pictures I have seen seem to indicate that this is a normal coloration.

Glenn

Hello All.

I have had my live Fiji rock in my tank now for almost two months. I have slowly introduced some livestock and corals (it will never end).

I noticed today that there are 5 to 6 small (1/4") white tubelike creatures rapidly swimming in my tank. They move so fast that I can't really get a good look at them for identification. I would have assumed that any hitchhikers would have shown up before now. Am I to be concerned with this? Parasites of some sort? Please advise if you have any ideas or suggestions.

Also my Naso Tang has four very small white markings on his snout (yeah, I know, I know I'm not really technical yet in my descriptions) between his eyes. They are known for somewhat blotchy appearances at times but I want to catch any problems early. I (knock on wood) haven't had the displeasure of dealing with ich yet. The uniformity of these spots leads me to believe that this is normal, however it's best to ask around. Anyone have the same markings on their Naso's? They have a pattern like the following:

. .

. . right between the eyes. These spots don't appear to be cottony or fuzzy as of yet.

Once he stays still long enough for me to snap a few pics I'll post them.

Thanks,

BigMac

Are these little eely things whiteish with a pinkish front and have two little black dots on the front? Do they move like hell through the water with no real preferance as to upper/lower part of the tank? Where did you get the rock?

Hi Colby.

I haven't seen one of the "eely" things for over a week now. My live rock is Fiji that was bought from Red Coral. They had moved so quickly that all I could make out was the white.

Good News/Bad News

-After much more investigating/research I found out that the "spots" on my Naso Tang are normal. Whew!

-Unfortunately he would only eat the algae off of my glass (even with garlic additives he wouldn't touch anything else including Formula 2, Spirulina, brine shrimp, red algae strips, plankton, lettuce, broccoli, etc.) and died yesterday. bummer.

I really liked him and hope that I can find another one soon. I'll be slightly more proactive this time, though, and make sure that he is eating well before purchasing. I found them hard to find and when I did I guess the shock of finding one made me forget to do my homework and due diligence.