Who else got Rapp's Escondidos?

Albertan

Hi. Last weekend I bought the last Escondido at Petland in Red Deer while down from Grande Prairie for a daughter's hockey tournament. I wouldn't mind trying to get a pair for my own personal satisfaction, and was hoping if anyone bought a group of juvies to get a pair they would keep me in mind for their extras down the road. This is a pic of mine below. He/she made the trip home twelve hours to Grande Prairie unscathed along with four dovii's as well.

125132541-S.jpg

And this is a picture of my 5" carpinitis I also suspect is an Escondido, although she does not have the lineage of a Rapp's fish. I welcome any opinions agreeing or disagreeing that it is an Escondido.

125132857-S.jpg

It is my understanding that they are both the same fish Carpinitis, and Escondido. Herichthys carpinitis 'Escondido'

This definition courtesy of Pei on cichlid-forum.com

Escondido is variant of carpintis that is collected in the Escondido area. I've found that this fish is more aggressive than regular carpintis. It also grows a bit bigger than regular carpintis...almost the full size of Texas cichlid (cyanoguttatus). Escondido is also very colorful. The differences between regular carpintis and escondido is their facial marking. Carpintis has blotches while escondido has worm like markings. Escondido is also very colorful...more than other texas cichlids.

My girl also has absolutely stunning irridescence, which is considered another Escondido hallmark.

nice pickup. from that pic i'm guessing that's a female imo.

four dovii. gonna have one awesome pair.

What makes you think the little Escondido is a female? The only way I am aware of to sex them is by the black spot on the base of the dorsal. This one doesn't show it, but I am assuming it is still too young to sex. The 5"er is definitely a female and looking for love as of late.

And yeah I am psychotic and looking for a pair of dovii. I was gonna get six, but one is considerably larger than the others. Assuming it is a male that gives me a 87.5% chance at least one of the other three is a female. Also, I will likely have to cull the extras as Petland and the LFS up here are not much use when it comes to returning fish. So I tried to keep them to a minimum.

Last weekend I was originally supposed to stay home and was going to have Golds fly up six grammodes or friedrichsthalii. But I couldn't resist the chance to pick up these Rapp's dovii. I'm thinking about grabbing them anyways and tossing them in the 150 with the dovii for now. I figure I'd have until May or so (about 5" for the dovii) before all Hell breaks loose. We'll see.

125132707-S.jpg

Very nice, I have 4 escondido, apparently they are harder to sex than normal carpintes, the females lack the black blotch on the dorsal, mine are serious pigs.

Dovii are pretty easy to sex at a small size, the males are more spotted and develop colourful fins at a younger age

Sump? That avatar looks familiar. :) At any rate, please keep me in mind if you want to get rid of any later on. The dovii all look pretty much the same at the moment. Its hard to tell any differences in the spotting along the midline. I'll be happy when they darken up in a few inches. They look like something I would put on the end of my hook at Slave Lake at the moment.

Ahhh. I am not very good at venting fish. I just go by the other morphological variations between the sexes. Hopefully the little one is a male because the larger one is my favorite fish and I would hate to have to choose between them down the road if the search for a male continues.

hey canucklehead (chris right?) did you buy those escondido from me at westhills?