Cork Bark Backgrounds

Slough Shark

I was looking at using Cork Bark for a background in my Chorous Frog Paludarium, only problem is that it's half water and half earth (like all paludariums). So the big question is: Can the Cork Bark be used as a submerged background?

Another fairly important question: how the F*** do you get rid of CLR residue in an aquarium? Like an idot, I tried to get rid of the calcium build-up with CLR and it didn't even work!!! I ended up having to use a glass scraper to get it all off!

Thanks

Taylor

Another fairly important question: how the F*** do you get rid of CLR residue in an aquarium?

Use amonia based windex liquid and then rinse with lots of water If you have a laundry sink put the aquarium in it and let the water run for a while Remember keep it around room temperature.around room temperature. As far as cork is concerned try a test piece submerged in water and see if it leeches anything into the water as it may have some kind of glue in it.

Edited by Sam Chicklets

I've heard of using cork for aquarium backgrounds so it should be fine in your tank. Might leach a bit, like driftwood, but shouldnt' hurt anything.

As for the CLR residue, just rinse and rinse and then rinse some more.. I've used CLR to clean my tanks before and I just scrubbed and rinsed it, then it was fine.

I siliconed 1/8 inch cork to the back, bottom and ends of a new 10 gallon tank and have had no problems yet (it's been quite a few months) and it is not breaking up or lifting and did not seem to leach anything into the tank.

I siliconed 1/8 inch cork to the back, bottom and ends of a new 10 gallon tank and have had no problems yet (it's been quite a few months) and it is not breaking up or lifting and did not seem to leach anything into the tank.

Where do you get cork? Is it the same stuff you use to make bulletin boards that you buy at the hardware store? Or is it something different?

Cork bark is fine submerged, but keeping it that way will be a trick...it is, after all, quite bouyant.

As far as getting rid of calcium build-up, I have a new best friend that works like a dream and then some:

http://www.ultrachemlabs.com/technologies/...utralizerc.html

The three active ingredients are food grade citric acid, phosphoric acid, and malic acid...all super-safe food-based acids that dissolve mineral build-up like nothing else. This stuff makes tanks and equipment look like new, and rinses off easily. One of the CAS members sells the stuff, and I would have never believed it works the way it does until I tried it myself....the stuff is so good, he has sold something like 12-15 one gallon jugs to aquarium club members in the past week alone.

Wow, sounds like I need to get my hands on some of that stuff, good for shipping??? :thumbs: I think that once the Cork becomes staurated with water, it will stay put, at least so I hope.

Where do you get cork? Is it the same stuff you use to make bulletin boards that you buy at the hardware store? Or is it something different?

Thats cork board, cork bark looks like this:

post-1108-1169928701_thumb.jpg

Sadly, all forms of cork come from the destruction of the Spanish Cork Forests, wich is the home and hunting grounds of the endangered Iberian (or Spanish) Lynx. This fact makes it tough for me, but I just have to trust my source for the cork, that they got it clean, from harvesting it from a cork farm.

Thanks for all the advice guys

Taylor

Actually, last spring while we were in Spain, down around Ronda and Grazalema there are dozens of cork farms, and this is probably where it is from. Most of the areas that are national reserves are usually where you will find the lynx. Same as Banff, Jasper, Waterton etc. here.

Wow, sounds like I need to get my hands on some of that stuff, good for shipping??? Taylor

Sure...send me some cash, and I will bring you a bottle.

I'm pretty sure most places that sell reptile supplies would have cork bark. However, the kind that they sell, will not be flattenned,

Aquagiant had some larger pieces of flattened bark when I was in there on Thursday, although I did not check to see what sort it was.