wal-mart fish

snaggle

I have been visiting our new wal-mart here in Wainwright and looking at there fish every day I have been there. There has been no sign of sickness but lots of stress. I am seting up 3 new tanks this week onces they are cycled I want to get a couple of cichlids for one 20 and some guppys for my paludarium. I want to get some tetras for 15.

How long should I quarenty these fish for befor I add them to my main tank? Can I quarentien them in there the tank that I want to keep them if they the first fish in the tank?

Brad

I usually quarantine fish for 3-4 weeks. It depends on where I bought them and if they stay healthy or not during the Q. If they get sick, I wait until they are over their illness then start counting the 3 weeks.

But if they are the first fish going into the tank they don't' really need to be quarantined. The only benefit of Q tanking them would be that if they did get sick, its usually cheaper to treat a smaller Q tank then the larger main tank.

Good to know there are some locals here! :beer:

Yes I checked out the fish also at the new Wal-Mart here in Wainwright.

Not a very big selection, but its new, and the tanks are clean... So far anyway.

I agree with Vapor, they are the first fish, so no need in quarantine them.

Riel

Quarantine for me can last 2-6 weeks, depending on the fish involved and where they are going. It also depends on the health of the fish. What syptoms are they showing if any? Stress in store can be due to poor handling and shock from travel, other times it can be from disease. Some fish when introduced into the home tank die from stress, others I think, think thank god I am not moving again. :bow: I have bought Walmart fish many times some with good outcomes, others with major problems. From ich to fungus. It really depends on the time and place. You visit one week all healthy fish, next week mainly sick- travel stress? disease? Some people don't quarantine at all, fish go right into the main tank- many times with disasterous outcomes. If the tanks you are putting them into are cycled and good to go, and the fish look fairly healthy then you shouldn't have any problems putting them into the main tank as first fish. Still watch for signs of disease, if caught early it is easier. If the tanks are not fully cycled then do the poor fish a favor and don't put them in a non cycled tank as it further stresses the poor things. Hope this helps alittle.