Free swimming Angel fry

Sam Chicklets

This morning my daughters angel fry started free swimming. unfortunately the parents started eating them as well. I had to remove the parents. I think I still have about a dozen fry though.

Well it looks like there were no survivors from this spawn, so it is back to the drwaing board so to speak.

Good luck next time!!

Mine have just spawned again, came home to a leaf full of eggs. Last time they different survive the night, hopefully this time they get to the 24 hour point.

One small step at a time.

With that said, you should get a few survivors, they seem to learn and get better at it each time.

In six months you will be wondering if they will ever stop.

AAWWWWWW that bites...

The best thing I have found that worked for me is having the tank bare bottomed and sponge filter. I had my pair in a 20 gallon tall with gravel and the minute I took the gravel out it seemed to go better. Sometimes that is impossible but it works. The wigglers and free swimmers seem to get stuck in the gravel and suffocate/die. I try not to disturb the tank at all. I don't even turn off the lights. I feed the adults twice a day to curb appetites LOL (if you know what I mean). Change water every 2 days, just small percentages and I try to make the water as close as I can in temperature. Once the free swimmers are a bit older, I ease up on the water changes. I might sound like a freak but that is what worked for me and a friend of mine.

I've read a lot of different info on breeding them and have deducted that other than a few basics there is no set way of breeding as the parents all have there little quirks. So the next batch of eggs the parenrs will be removed after the eggs hatch, and try it that way.

the eggs were gone this morning, oh well. They lasted longer this time. Will have to see what happens next time. Hopefully they will make it to the hatching stage.

I am hoping the parents will learn so I don't want to remove the eggs, as long as they show improvement each time, I will let nature take its course.

I am getting better at spotting when they are preparing to spawn, and if nothing else, can always get a tank set up to move them and raise them myself.

Mine were disapearing for a while but when I put Methalene blue in the water they quit getting eaten. I think the parents were taking out the ones with fungus and got the others as well.