56 Gallon tank

Terrie Lee

I'm going to get a 56g tank in a month or so. (faster if husband hands over the credit card sooner)

I am planning on stocking it with:

5 dwarf gouramis 2 males 3 females

1 gold nugget pleco (yay! bottomfeeders!)

6 corycats

5 swordtails also 2 males 3 females

I was wondering if there would be any problems with that set up. I want the tank to be medium planted.

I also ant to know if I could stick a pair of convicts in there.

Sorry if my questions are silly, I have to start somewhere.

Edited by Terrie Lee

Looks good to me. The convicts might get too agressive when they spawn, but I've kept spawning pairs in community tanks before with favorable results. IMO, a 55 is lots of room for the fish you want.

Would a pair of yellow labs be better than convicts? It seems a few AA memebers have some and the websites have described them as being more docile.

I value their behavior and colour the most.

Edited by Terrie Lee

I'm a bit of a purist, so I wouldn't mix african cichlids w. SA fish; however, I think the mix would do well. The Yellow Labs are definitely more docile than convicts.

I would have to get myself a camera.

Which, come to think of it, would be a darned good idea!

I admit, I am very greedy.

Can I have 3 different colours of dwarf gourami for the males?

Or would that be a bad idea?

personally i would not go with convicts, i know it depends on the individual temperment, but from my experiences with convicts their one of the more aggressive fish in the hobby, and i think thats why alot of people can successfully keep them with larger cichlids.

I have heard jewel cichlids can be ok for community tanks, but have no experience with them myself.

Yellow labs chase the hell out of gouramis, labs and jewels at least mine love killing swords. But gouramis and swords get along great. If you want a little color you can get away with puting in some Rams, Kribs, and Apistos in the tank. It works for me.

As I have no other place to put the labs if they start causing a problem, I think I may not risk it.

Perhaps I can just get more gouramis. Do they hang out together like swortails?

Gouramis mostly swim all over the tank, Sometimes you'll get a couple of them swimming together when they show interest in each other. For the most part very peaceful fish. Sometime when 2 males get together they might take a nip at one another but it don't last long. I have blues, gold, pearl, dwarf, sunset, honey,croakers,sparklers,and paradise all swimming happily together in one tank with no problems.

• 2 weeks later...