Food chain

Terrie Lee

Will my mato grosso pleco eat my Corydoras pygmaeus if I keep them in shoals of 10 or so?

Will plecos eat small fishes? The pygmy corys are so cute I think I must buy some.

IME w. plecos, if they have enough to eat, they'll leave everything alone. If not, they'll start to taste-test just about anything. Thankfully, the smaller ones usually only nibble on plants and stuff. I had a 10"er that would pick off White Cloud Minnows at night! :w00t:

You will not have a problem as stated earlier with the Mato harming the others,it will be a nice combination.

Will it be an all catfish tank or are there other types of fish as well?

you could possibly get some spawning action going(if it's just the cats)

It has now grown into:

1 mato grosso pleco

2 bristlenose plecos

12 teeny tiny corycats

and however many guppies steal my heart when I go to Nature's Corner next.

(likley around 15)

1 mato grosso pleco

2 bristlenose plecos

You probably know this but all of these are bristlenose catfish,thats a common name for ancistrus types of catfish which these both are,the Mato is a dwarf species called Ancistrus claro

With that many in a tank are you feeding them any extra veggies?

Also watch your Mato it may not compete very well with the other bristlenose's if they are larger, if they are not larger yet, they will be.

I am aware they are both catfish in fact they are bolth Ancistrus catfish. The bristlenose will also stay quite small. I may just end up with one of each kind in that tank. I do plant to give them veggies to supplement their diet. Right now I just have the mato grosso. He gets a sinking wafer every few days and all the algae and driftwood he can eat. :D

When I have more plecos there will be sinking wafers dropped more often.

I cut up zuccini and put a fork in it to sink it. You don't know how many times someone's asked me (once the zuccini's been eaten), "Why is there a fork in your tank?" :P

I use a spoon with a piece of fishing line tied around it. (to pull the spoon back up) Pleco's will eat all sorts of veggies, (and fruits) my pleco's favorite is those mini cucumbers, you know the ones that they use to make pickles? He can eat his body weight in those. :D

Edited by Stacey