Target sand, etc.

TheGr8Blade

I heard thru a little bird that Target Products Calgary are going to stop selling to the general public for under $50.00. No word on as when but it may be a good idea to go over there quickly if you need some or more. After that it will be buying $50.00 or more of sand/gravel. I can smell the group order starting up soon. -roll- Just thought I would let everyone know. :D

Edited by TheGr8Blade

• 1 month later...

For once I'm glad to live in the boonies :)

In Cranbrook there is a everything-for-everybody indoor-outdoor plant & farm & pet (etc, etc, etc) store that carries it by the bag (10lb I think) for about $5 and they always have it in stock.

If ever you need a bag or two, PM me and I'll bring it along on my next trip to Calgary (Usually about once a month).

Vic

Edited by vic622

I have purchased sand and rock products from Burnco Rock Products, Red Deer store. A 5 gallon pail of washed sand (don't believe everything you are told) for about $7. Self serve and bring your own bucket. They also have an awesome assortment of rock, shale, slate, river rock and stone, etc. Almost as good as a trip to Home Depot but not big enough to warrant taking a lunch! Also tile stores can be a great source for shale etc.

Vic

Edited by vic

Totem sells 25 kg bag of Target playsand for $5. I bought a bag today, no mention of a $50 limit ... not yet anyway.

Cheers

The order limit would only be in place at Target itself, not other stores that sell it's products. As well, the noted sign of "Minimum order $50" may in fact be more as a deterrent from people who (seriously) come in and buy one or two 'nice' rocks.

I have spent a LOT of time (there a coule times a day as a driver for a landscape company a few years back) in the line @ the Burnco Retail desk waiting 'four geezers back' while some geriatric digs in his coin purse to buy a 7" river round he can hardly carry... one at a time.

"But it shore is gunna look nice out in the garden by the gazing ball!"

Or the sign may be for 'orders'... call ahead and get "$25 worth of cedar much ready, I'm on the way with the wife & kids"... um... no. Cash and Carry may have no minimums.

I would also like to suggest that you consider purchasing sandblasting sand as an alternative. It is 'graded' in that it is sorted by particle size and it is usually much cleaner than most other sources. Depending on your tastes, you can get it in an off-white (dolomite, calcite, quatrz sources) or a play-sand beige (usually garnet or related sources). Just make certain you aren't using an iron or coke slag (just ask them and tell them what you are actually going to use it for).

I use it now in all of my tanks and I don't think I would ever go back....

At the local retailer/distributor: 88 lb (40 kg) for $8.99 or so.

Just a thought :-)

David