moving a complete set up

johnsmith

I moved mine with the plants, I took out the big ones and left the small well rooted in the bottom. I left just an inch above the gravel of water to keep them wet and it slushed around a bit but the plants were okay. It wasn't a 90g by any means. It will be even heavier to move that way but worth it in the end...

Personaly I would remove the plants and gravel as a 90g is heavy enough by itself. If it is giant val then a plastic Walmart tub would work well for them as it is large enough to prevent damaging the leaves

I have moved with tanks twice now, and I would recomend taking everything out.

When I moved with gravel and an inch of water I carried the tank up some stairs with another guy - the started leaking the next week. It may not happen, but I bet you have 60-100 pounds of wet gravel in that tank and why take the risk.

I found a great way to scoop out the gravel was with a dust pan (you know the kind that come with brooms). (You probably knew that but my wife thinks I don't know what it is!!)

Good luck with your move.

Kevin

I found a great way to scoop out the gravel was with a dust pan

Kitty litter scoop works fantastic.

That's a good call, I wasn't really thinking about all the extra weight. I just know he doesn't want to have to replant everything. I think that's probably the better option though.

And yes, I know what a dust pan is. I also recognize a vacuum and, well, I can't think of anything else -roll-

This may be a little late, but definitely remove everything. That would be one heavy tank with the gravel and water still in it and will most certainly leak afterwards as Kevin mentioned. Also, as a thought, I was in Aquarium Illusions yesterday discussing the fishroom in my new house with a fellow there and he told me that normal house stairs are designed for a load of something like 600 pounds, now I am sure they can take more weight than that at least briefly and I could be off slightly in the numbers, but it still makes a point. Also, just for giggles, drain your tank down to 1" above the gravel and try to pick it up. :shock:

Good luck with the move!

OK, to start with, I have a 90g, and it takes two good men to move it empty:) (Well, OK....me & Henry:):)

Lets do some math: My 90g is 48"Long x 24"High x 18"Deep, and IIRC is constructed from 1/2" glass.

So (48"*24"*1/2"*2 for front/back panes)=1152 cubic inches

(18"*24"*1/2"*2 for end panes)=432 cubic inches

(48"*18"*1/2" for bottom) =432 cubic inches

Total =2016 cubic inches

Density of plate glass is 0.09031823lbs/cu in

2016*0.09031823=182.1lbs, not including silicone or trim.

Thats a good lift!....and my 90 was heavily planted, I figure close to three bags of gravel @40kg (or 88.2lbs) each ( for tot gravel weight of 264.6lbs.... , not including any water that brings us to 446.7 lbs !!

Even if you were up to the job of carrying it ( and if you are, I won't try to stop you :):).....an aquarium is designed only for STATIC LOADS....and being carried while holding 3 bags of gravel + an undetermined ammount of water would stress it in ways it was never designed to handle.

Do I need to go on....or do you see by now that NOT EMPTYING it would be a BAD IDEA.......

'nuff said

James

Edited by James (Western Canada)

Do I need to go on....or do you see by now that NOT EMPTYING it would be a BAD IDEA.......

'nuff said

James

I see a lot of numbers. I didn't take the time to read them all but there were so many I'll just take your word for it. :D

It has been moved, and it was empty. After feeling a pail full of half the gravel I know it was definitely the right choice.