Stand Suggestions?

Doc_Polit

First off is this a photo finish particle board stand or a plywood stand? If it is particle board paint it or leave it the way it is, as that's all you can do with it. If it is ply wood you may be able to strip the old finish with something like Circa 1852 furniture stripper or another product made for this type of aplication, and then stain and varathane it. If it is ply wood you won't be able to sand very much as it is only a very thin layer of vinear that is actualy oak. Can you post a photo I may be able to offer more advice.

Edited by Sam Chicklets

Unfortunately, I don't have the means to post a pic at the moment.

I am sure that it is plywood with an oak veneer.

I know it is a waste of a nice veneer, but I am tempted to give a light sanding and paint it. Seems like a lot less hassle to get a decent finish.

If it is a veneer you should be able to see the layers on a side or an end. If it is a veneer lightly hand sane, clean well and put several coats of varathane on it. Light sand between coats.

You could take a small section to HD. Totem, etc. and someone there will be able to determine if it is a veneer or a "photophinish".

Vic

Edited by vic