Thinning the Threesome

rudy

I am unfortunately selling one of my Henlei female. She was the last to come and unfortunately is not very accepted by the pair she is with. She is bigger, better personality and it is not that they are beating one her it is more that she is excluded from all ray activities and I don't have the room for another tank I could stick a male something in with her.

She is going to a breeding facility (unless my better judgement kicks in) in New York which quite honestly is scaring the poop out of me. I am not sure about shipping a ray that far being this big.

Question is....would you do it? The fact that he will take the risk is not what scares me. if died I would feel terrible.

My suggestion? Call a BIG aquarium, and talk to them about shipping the ray. If you explain the situation to them, they'll probably give you some tips about shipping fish that large and expensive that you may not have thought about (and yeah, I know you're experienced shipping fish long distances).

I met a guy in Grande Prairie that recently moved to town and was looking at getting involved in aquaria again after moving from B.C. He used to breed rays commercially and I think he mentioned he was getting back into them so perhaps he could be an ideal fit for your situation. If you PM me I will track down his info when I get home tomorrow (I'm sitting in River Cree Resort in Edmonton right now).

Edited by Albertan

I met a guy in Grande Prairie that recently moved to town and was looking at getting involved in aquaria again after moving from B.C. He used to breed rays commercially and I think he mentioned he was getting back into them so perhaps he could be an ideal fit for your situation. If you PM me I will track down his info when I get home tomorrow (I'm sitting in River Cree Resort in Edmonton right now).

I appreciate the offer, but getting rid of her is not an issue, it is where I want her to go. I would love somebody from Calgary, or surrounding to take her but the reality is not a lot of people pay what she is worth, especially as finding a male would be very difficult. I am not neccesarily set on her going to a breeder as they don't need to breed to be happy and there is also quiet a few leos available if somebody wanted to breed brazillian rays. I am just worried about the cold long trip she would have to take to the East.

Well, NY is off as there are no heated planes that fly there and I really don't care what the sale of the ray would be. If she died I would be devistated.

I am either going to have to get a really big tank and get more rays or.........

• 1 month later...
Glad to hear she made it safely. Must have been a long wait for you to hear she was okay.

Definately!

I didn't let on but it was killing me. Putting the air hose on the tail was worse though!