Need HELP

snaggle

I was planning on insulating one of my garages and setting up a fish garage. I was looking at my electrical on the garage today, there is two garages in my yard, the power comes from the house and stops at the older garage there is a connection out side of the garage that is just electrical taped (scary). There is a four circuit breaker panel in the garage 1 for the outside lights, 1 for the inside lights and 2 for the plug-ins. I looked at the main beaker panel in my house and there is no breaker the garages. The power lines for the garage come from the corner of the house where my daughters room is, also where my only tank is so far, I am afraid that both garages are on that one 15 amp breaker.

Ok now that the story is done.

Here are my options as I see them. I can upgrade the breaker to a 30 amp and just leave the garages as they are, I am going to be using electric heat, or I can have the line moved and get a dedicated circuit for my garages, the more expensive option. I am going to redo the junction in-between the two garages in a more a water proof method.

Now for the hard part, I can take the out side lights down since I don’t use them I can use that breaker for the heat. Now I have two free breakers, how many tanks can put on a 15 amp breaker, lets say that they are all 55s and smaller 100w heaters and ac 300 or smaller, I believe that they draw 10w, and some sponge filters on large air pumps. I can run the lights for the racks from the breaker for the lights, the tank lights will be on timers and staggered to start every 5 min.

Brad

The satelite panel in the garage should be running off of a double poll breaker from the main panel. If it is not then you need to bring this up to code first. As for garage number two I believe it needs to be on a separate breaker as well.

That is what I thought. I think my plans will be on hold for now I am going to check out the breakers some time this week and cross my fingers. The house was built in 1952 the wiring in the house in all 2 wire copper, I am told that I do not have to change it till I open up the walls in the house. The garage I can add a ground spike and ground the hole fish garage.

I think I will just make the connection out side more weather proof then forget the fish garage for now

Brad