Light suggestions please

I would like some suggestions on lighting a 55g (would need a 48 inch light) marine tank. Would like to know what you guys think would get me the best bang for the buck. I would prefer to keep the cost low as possible. Also would like the option of day/night (blue). Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't mind ordering online either.

Thanks for helping me out. :bow:

Blade: I'm no saltwater guy, so WTF do I know ??....but AH Supply has Compact Flourescent kits with electronic ballasts, your choice of bulbs from 5500K to 10000k. Their prices are decent, and Kim is very knowledgeable and more than willing to answer questions. I Think I talked to him three times before I finally ordered:)

http://www.ahsupply.com/

HTH

James

• 1 month later...
Are you keeping corals? If so, what kind?

Frogspawn, mushrooms, kenya tree and aptasia LMAO! j/k

From what I heard the HO T5 with individual reflectors are really good- dont give off too much heat can be close to the water. I believe the unit is called sun pod or sun tek. Just make sure they have individual reflectors. I think its something like 8 bulbs x 54 watts in the setup and it costs around 500 online.

Also MH would work too. I have a 55 gal with 2 pendants ( 150watt double ended HQI bulbs.) I can grow anything and it has nice color. They dont give off much heat compared to the single ended MH bulbs I have seen. Mine are 5 inches above the tank with no fan. I ordered online and paid 150 for 2 pendents, 2 ballasts and two bulbs. However they arent CSA approved and one of the ballasts broke 5 months later.

You might be able to get away with less light but if I were you I would just get more than I need so you wont have to upgrade much in the future(bear in mind "more than you need" isnt me suggesting 400 watt MH's since I believe no tank really needs that much.).

I have the Teklight with HO T5's and they are great. Real cheep to run as well. I have the manual at home with the specs for power usage if you would like to see it.

You can come get it when you are getting my 33G salt ;)