Is this normal for a betta?

CalgaryFan

As I was reaching down into my tank to re-arrange some rocks, I noticed my Betta come to where my arm was - and my sleeve was just dragging on the surface, he nipped my shirt sleeve LOL. Obviously doing nothing, but I was just wondering if anyone elses fish usually does this?

My old betta used to bite my fingers whenever I put them in the tank. It was really funny because he looked like he was trying to be so fierce. It tickled a little.

All my fish in the community tank and cichlid tanks nibble on my hand when I put it in the tank, I also have 2 big a$$ severums that come within a 1/4 inch of my fingers to take a pellet then they chicken out. Silver dollars 5 and 6 inchers will snap algae wafers out of my fingers.

• 1 month later...

I use tweezers to feed peas to my betta. When I do this I hold the piece of the pea just at the surface, and my betta goes through the behavior you described. I think it's a predatory thing, for example, in the wild the betta would have the strike response to an insect or some other edible morsel near the surface in similar fashion.

I now know what you mean with the cichlids. I put my hand in the tank to arrange some rocks differently and they started nibbling on my arm, one actually got some hair, I yelped and retrieved my hand. I now know to push them away when I stick my hand in there lol.