What type and how big??

blainetyson

The FX-5 is rated for tanks up to 400g, but as we all know ratings are not acurate at all.

I always cut their rating in half.

So a single FX-5 will be plenty for a 130g.

Eheims are great bio filters, but lack the water movement of large HOB or the FX-5.

*IMO* The FX-5 by far is the best bang for the buck as far as any filter on the market today.

The FX-5 moves about 650 or so gallons per hour with relatively clean media in place...I think the box or instructions suggests 605 gph or something like that. So that filter should be able to turn your tank over 5 times per hour, which should be good for all but the largest, messiest of fish. I picked one up this past weekend, but I cannot get it to fit with the AquaGiant canopy so I had to take it back. :cry:

An FX 5 is good but having two filters is a good thing for if your filter ever stops or is clogged then your fish will still have a filter. I have found that f a filter stops it is when I am gone for a week.

Brad

I picked one up this past weekend, but I cannot get it to fit with the AquaGiant canopy so I had to take it back. :cry:

Interesting that you say that because i was wondering if it would work with the AquaGiant canopy, which is what i have. My hubby did abit of cutting to get the fluval 404 to fit in the canopy.

Ya the fx-5 would be the third filter in the tank, so incase something happens.... there are still two going.

Chantell

The AquaGiant canopies with the integrated filters only have two relatively small openings at either end. I managed to run the plumbing for one of AquaGiant's canister filters with the built in UV sterilizer into the tank. The tubing for that filter is about the same as for my Fluval 404, which I can also run on the tank at the other end if I did some minor cutting to the end filter tray. But the FX-5 has considerably larger diameter tubing and would require cutting of the canopy to get it to fit. I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world, but I have roughly 4X turnover on the tank now, I change 30-40 gallons of water twice weekly and the largest dovii has grown from 2" to 4" in just over a month. So I guess all is well in that tank at the moment. :D

I have to admit the FX-5 looks like a great filter. I thought about running it on my 58 for now and then using it on a quarantine tank at the new house, but I just don't really need it. Especially with laying out the cash for Dominic's 230 gallon in the next couple of weeks. B)