Looking for good general homemade recipe

Oxquo

Thanks, Maybe i'll try making the food this weekend. That is if i can figure out how to use the agar agar stuff :P

FYI- the garlic comes in a bulb, each piece you break off is a clove :P

So should i jstu use 1 clove if i'm going to make a small batch? Or even less then that?

When adding anything I truly prefer liquid extract even if squeezed through a juice maker. This way measurements are the same, it mixes way better and your fish get only the good stuff not more waste on the bopttom of the tank. Every aquarist has an eyedropper from something they bought, well if you don't have a terrier that eats them, but adding 1 or 2 ml is alot easier than deciding whether or not you use 1 big elephant garlic clove or a small clove from regular garlic and will you remember that size next time???

We have this question before.anither site... much discussion.

It is much easier to add one or two or three or more cloves of fresh garlic .

It will not hurt the fish. lol...

Just put thorugh the grinder, as you do your other ingredients. As the garlic is ground and mixed the oils and fibers will mix with the other igredients.

I have been using garlic, as an ingredient, for all types of fish, and HAVE never had any problems. Garlic, raw cloves, have been used, as an ingredient, by some of the top breeders in the world. never any problems. Mind you the ue of beef heart has also been a great world wide topic of discussion.

Bottom line ... mpo/mpe ... either a person uses it or not.

Val, if you feel comfortable use it. If not don't.

Oxquo - I agree with you and your advice.

Sometimes I find it much easier to just use the raw ingredients, put them through my grinder and mix everthing together.

Mind you; I have made up batches of food - which the fish will not eat. One ingredient is not liked ,,, ok ,,,... live and learn ;)

P.S. when I make up a batch of beef-heart diet food [ all ingredients and vitimans ] ; I start with about 25 pounds of cleaned - devained, defatted beefheart, 3 green peppers, 3 yellow peppers, three bulbs of garlic, [ the veggies are to get the natural oils and vitiams ], . The size of the veggies. / I add enough just through expierence. I do try and find the fresh small garlic bulbs, if possible.

Garlic oil extract is available, from heath food places - if you want to go that route. However, it is also the fiber that is nice to have.

Smokey

Interesting but have you ever seen cichlids eat puree foods? They don't actually eat any but your filter gets full in minutes. That seems to be the problem with too many recipes is that they blend them. or add sludgy ingredients. I did make a small amout of my mix and used an old hamburger grinder from a flea market. the mix was put through one way and then the other, most of the chunks are brine shrimp, blood worm size. It still gets a little cloudy but then mysis does on it's own anyways. My fish seem to love the mix. Next batch i may add naturose and agar via having my worms eat it first. I see alot of red and green tinge after feeding although it goes away. I would say the food though was a great success. Now I need a new source for naturose since I never got half of my order from Kensfish almost 3 months ago. Anyone know of another good supplier? The health food store stopped carrying it , I did find though that the oriental grocers carry agar for almost 1/4 the price of health food stores.

John;

I totally agree with you. To puree the ingredients - way too fine. same as a Juicer!

The drum style grinders - same openings as on a coarse cheese grater - gives thin worm-like pieces ... just the right size.

Here is a mix from Rod L.

beef heart formula:

4 parts trimmed heart

1 part seafood usually prawn meat

some vegetables usually spinach, apple or capsicum

spirulina powder

garlic

These ingredients are mixed in a food processor and then frozen into a block. To feed the block is grated with a cheese grater to a size to suit the size of the discus. The vegetables represent about 5 to 10% volume, the spirulina and garlic are in very small amounts.

That is my standard mix, for variation you can use flakes, pellets, krill, scallop meat and/or roe, mussels, fish flesh, even ant eggs...lol

Smokey

Just to give you an idea of different variations.