Stocking Questions!

Dominic

Ok in theory if you had to stock 9 - 210 Gallon Aquariums with various cichlids. What kinds of combinations can you guys come up with, I have my own but wanted some diffrent opinions.

No I'm not starting a fish store but my own multi tank basement room.

are you saying 9 tanks with a total of 210 gallons?

or

9 - 210 gallon tanks totalling 1890 gallons?

if so what are the size of the tanks?

if i had 9 - 210 tanks i would keep one tank for a show tank and the other 8 (with dividers) and breed a whole bunch of different fish.

Saulosi would be my main fish but i would dip into other mbuna/haps/peacocks and others.

it would be a dream, but i'd wake up when my wife said 'No'.

nev

If I had nine tanks like that and wanted cichlids, there's a ton of options.

Frontosa tank (or two)

Tanganyikan featherfins with Cyps/Paracyps

Cyps/Paracyps and tang sandsifters

Two tanks with mbuna

Two tanks with Haps/Peacocks

last two for growout.

For most of the fish for breeding groups I'd have at least 3 males and 5 females; in tanks that size I'd probably do twice that for both and have 6+ males and 15+ females - helps spread the aggression around. I wouldn't have more than 4 species to a tank because after than it just looks like a rainbow tank with 8 million fish all doing their own thing and not really much else besides chasing.

Are you getting a deal on 210's? - What are the dimensions you're looking at?

I have frontosas in a 180 gallon and you really need a tank that size, but if I were doing serious breeding of Haps and Mbunas, I don't know if I'd want 210s, just because of the pain of catching holding fish in a tank that size.

210s would be great show tanks or community tanks though. When I tire of frontosas, that's what I will try in my 180.

For breeding, the 50-100 gallon seems just easier for 90% of the cichlids out there.

1 large haps (all male)- Fossorochromis rostratus,dimidochromis kiwinge, nimbochromis venustus; livingstoni,polystigma,fuscotaeniatus - tyrannochromis macrostoma, aristochromis christyi,champsochromis caruleus

1 medium haps(all male) - Copadichromis azureus, protomelas spilonatus, Taiwon Reef, taeniolatus, placidochromis phenochilus, copadichromis borleyi,sciannochromis fryeri, etc.

1 male peacock - the more the merrier, careful planning is required to ensure fish remain colored up and crowding is a must.

1 frontosa tank

1 smaller tang tank - lots of options

1 discus tank

1eartheater/ angels

1 large south american: terrors or umbies

1 arrowana / rays

Well I do get a discount on multiple Tanks of that size. The dimensions are 72X24X28 nice size. So many choices I guess by the sounds of it. My quote for 15 ft long tank on three sides of a room was about 50,000. So I opted for 9 large standard size tanks side by side that way I can control disease,population and breeding. It's going to cost I figure about $10,000 for all tanks and stands. It's kinda a big project but I figure I love the hobby and know enough about large tanks to handle it. It's just that darn breeding thing I've been trying for about 1 month now, I'll see how that goes. Does anyone know what the largest Cichlid species is and would I be able to house it comfortably in a 210 Gallon?

9 210 tank... that is nice... I wish I have space and funds to do that...

My choice would be...

1) frontosa

2) frontosa

3) petrochromis

4) more petrochromis

5) 2 type of tropheus

6) 2 type of tropheus

7) Featherfin (furcifer)

8) massive shellies tank with cyps (jumbo or standard)

9) massive neo. community tank.

Largest cichlid is Boulengerochromis microlepis - http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1946 - and no, your tank wouldn't be large enough for them. You'd probably want a tank about 48" wide, though even that would be tight seeing as they can get to 30"+.

If I were you and you're getting these tanks custom made, I'd go for more width with the tanks rather than depth, ie. 30" wide rather than 24" and then only 24" tall as most fish won't really appreciate the extra depth (but I'd probably get a couple at 30" tall as the zoning of the Tanganyikans would be really cool to see). Plus if you ever decided to do something besides cichlids (catfish, arrowana, rays), the extra footprint would be much more appreciated.

Wow that is a big fish, jeepers. I agree with you on the depth's of the tanks. I have found only a few species like discus that appreciate Depth as well as width and length. It's nice to see all the input. I guess after my initial investment, all have to buy some livestock, Yikes that might be expensive but at least I could do it slowly not all at once.