Shrimp with Bettas?

NatureNut

I wondered about putting a couple of waste consuming shrimp in with my bettas in the 2 gallon (hopefully moving up to 5 soon) tanks I have for them. Has anyone had success with this? Which shrimp would work best with them? Cherry shrimp have me very interested, but I wanted to make sure there would be compatability first.

I have some shrimps in with my bettas. I put some of my larger amano shrimps in a 5g with my betta. He never bothered them. Also I have a 20g planted with lots of amano and cherry shrimp and a betta and the betta has never shown an interest in them.

You could always buy a ghost shrimp and test it out, see if he eats it. Its better to loose a 50cent shrimp, then a 4$ one. If he doens't eat it then move on to the more expensive shrimps like the amanos and cherries.

When I added Cherry Shrimp to my betta tank, he went after them at first, but the shrimp are too quick for him, so he doesn't bother now. He may get the odd baby shrimp, tho.

Depends on the betta. If he's mild mannered, go for it. I have heard of bettas that can empty a tank of even ghost shrimp in short order, though. :boxed: Mine has been fine with his Amano shrimp in a ten gallon, but he's always been very peaceful.

I had a super-aggressive betta that kept killing my snails. He would strike at them every time they came out of their shells. They eventually starved to death.

Dead snails stink really bad.

I'm picking up some ghost shrimp tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice! I hope it works well. He seems like a mild mannered guy, but you never know! I'll keep you all posted. :)