Sick Discus

Cichlid88

I have a Red Turq. discus which as not been eating at all for about 10 days and seems to be wasting away. It looks fine color is good, swims fine, water parameters are fine and have been continuing water changes regularly. I have been treating with Aquarisol for seven days and have now added Melafix to the routine but he is not comming around. The other one that I have in the tank was picking on him a little but he as left him alone for at least two weeks now. He seems to be interested in the food some times but never takes any. I have been feeding lots for varity and the other one is getting fat but this one just seems to avoid everything. His stomach seems a little swollen so I think it's some sort of internal parasite but nothing seems to be working.... am I doomed to loose this little guy????

Hopefully someone has some experience ...

If only we had the ALL KNOWING, ALL SEEING Ryan was here to tell us what to do. :(

But seriously.

I don't have any experience with discus, but the problem might be that they were fighting over food, and he is just scared to eat because if he does he might catch another beating.

Just a thought

Salt & heat will cure 90% of Discus related problems. I'd get the heat up to 90ºF and add 2 TbSp of salt per 10g. Ideally I'd isolate this fish but the heat/salt won't bother the other fish. While you're doing this I'd look for some Metro as it will help with internal worms. Are you seeing any white feces from this fish, or did you in the past?

No I haven't seen any white feces but it seems to be loosing weight (I.e.the fullness in its head and along the lateral line) I will try the salt today and have done 20% water change and added charcoal back for 24 hours to remove all medications. If the salt doesn't work I will add back melafix in a couple of days. What is Metro?

Thanks,

Bernie

Melafix isn't going to do anything with an internal parasite. Aquarisol may work but it is also hard on the fish and the bio filter, copper is nasty stuff, if you aren't sure of the problem I wouldn't use it.

Are you just trying to keep the 2 discus? If so I'd strongly recomend you change your setup. Keeping a non mated pair can be almost imposible. Discus need to be alone or in larger (5+) groups usually. You do see people get away with it sometimes but it is very unusual.

I don't have any experience with discus, but the problem might be that they were fighting over food, and he is just scared to eat because if he does he might catch another beating.

Try splitting them up first. J-ROC is probably right on the money.

A

Cichlid88 -

It sounds like an internal parisite. Not uncommon in discus that were raised in poor conditions.[ previous owneres].

How old is the discus??

Metro may be the soulution. However, Metro [metronidazole] is not for casual use. It is very powerful and demands attention. You will have to a "doctor".

If you deceide to use Metro, I stongly suggest setting up a 10 gallon hosptial tank!!

Trying to located Metro. - Generally, a vet. can supply you with metor , in pill form - 250 gram. You will convince the vet that you will be careful with the druq.

I can give you much more information and a proceedure to administer the med.

e-mail me if you like.

Smokey

I will help you as much as possible.

I have used Metro many times over the years with much success. It doesn't affect your biological filter and seems to be very easy on the fish, in my experience. It has a tank life of about 8 hours so I dose my tanks 3x a day when I'm treating. Get the temp to 90ºF+ and add 400mg per 10g of metro. Put it in a jar of either tank water or RO water (it will dissolve better in RO) and shake it for awhile. Then just pour it in the tank. Do a 25-50% water change each day and redose the tank 3x a day for 3 days. Then leave the temp elevated and watch the fish for 4 days. Sometimes that's enough, sometimes you have to do it all over again. Usually after two treatments the fish is better. If not, I'd assume that Metro was not the drug of choice in this case. Feed the fish during treatment if it will eat, otherwise skip it and keep your tank clean.

Here in Winnipeg we can get metro in tablet form from Fish Gallery. It can be bought in powdered form from Pet Solutions online and it makes it through Canada Customs because they just see it as an aquarium product. But when I last tried to bring 1 kg of Metro into the country it was sent back as you are supposed to have a prescription to buy this med. As I said before, I'd start by elevating the temp and adding salt.

I agree with Dave on the Metro, I use it on any new fish that I suspect may have internal parasites. One thing I will add, metronidazole works much better (and faster) if you soak the food in a tank water/met solution, and the fish eats it. Obviously this only works IF the fish is still eating. It's actually a very safe medication that was designed for human use. (flagyl) Seachem sells Met & it can be found at many LFS's.

Try the non med route first, as the problem may not be parasites but more along the lines of what has already been previously suggested.

Thanks everyone, I moved the little guy to another tank were he will not compete with the other one for territory and have raised the temp and added salt. Right now it seems that he is more active and hopefully within a couple of days will begin to eat again. This discus is one of two I got from Riverfront and is about 2" in size.

Again thanks for all the suggestions.

Bernie

• 1 month later...

Well it's been 6 weeks and I did everything I could. The visible signs of disease all healed up (fin dammge and small scale damage) but he wasted away from lack of eating. I tried about 10 different types of food from fresh to freeze dried but alas I put him out of his misery last night using very hot water. Seems sad but I think it was best.

:(

Bernie