Damned Hair Algae!

Slough Shark

I know NUKE IT!!!!! :ph43r: JK If this is a planted tank reduce the nutrients, if not planted you could cover the tank for a couple of day so no light gets in. It won't hurt the fish. The american flag fish and the ameca splendids will eat hair algae when you don't feed them too much fish food. As far as an SAE what is the problem??? I think you are thinking about the Chinese algae eater which can become PITAs when bigger.

Amano shrimp will also help you out with this. But, as HOSStile said, a black-out will do the trick.

Ok, I'll try the cover up, thanks boys.

I won't put a SAE in is because I had 2 goldfish and a koi in my last setup, I will NOT squish such a large fish in such a small tank EVER again!

If I can get the Amanos, I'll go for it, I was planning on getting some anyays. If they take care of this nasty stuff, thats a bonus!!

Thanks again

Taylor

Blue-grey? It might be also be staghorn algae. Have a look here: Aquarium Algae

Not sure if the blackout will do much long term, since this stuff likes to keep growing back. Overdosing Flourish Excel has been shown to be a very effective algicide (even though it can't be marketed as such.) Remove as much algae as you can manually, first. For a smaller tank, do the recommended first dose, then 2 or 3x the recommendation for the following doses. In a larger tank (where it wouldn't be cost effective to dose the whole tank) you can use a syringe to squirt Excel on the algae spots. You should see the algae changing color and dying within a few doses. Certain plants (eg. Vallisneria) may be affected as well.

Edited by werner

I don't know if I just fluked, but I had a major hair algae problem.. dang stuff kept coming back... and I added 3 tall pieces of bamboo to the back of my tank. They and are tall enough to be out of the water at the back. It took a week or so, but I haven't had hair algae since. The theory?? behind the bamboo was that they absorb nutrients at incredible speed and would out compete the algae. Seems to have worked for me, but like I said, I'm not sure if I fluked!

Anybody have any comments on that??

Most house plants will outcompete anything aquatic for nutrient uptake. I use plants that grow fast, like pothos, ivy, philodendron, peace lily, etc.

I hope the bamboo doesn't inhibit the growth of my other plants.

I don't put terrestrials with any of my PLANTED tanks (where growing healthy plants is the main goal of the tank) for that very reason. But, if there are just a few plants in the tank, I'll stick a sprig of ivy or something in the tank or HOB.

I read through that article, I only have some tough spot algea (and only just a bit) in my 72. My convict tank gets loads of algea on top of the uppermost rocks, those closest to the light. I take those once fully fuzzied and place them in my fry tank where the babymbunas eat it all up. I think that the beard algea is neat, I wouldn't mind a piece of driftwood covered in that in my community tank. I assumed that in my male beta tank(1 1/2 gal) was some fine java moss but after reading that article, it's a clump of green hair algea, really neat! I'll have to put it in my snail tank for food source. I've learned stuff today, thanks for the link werner. Sue

Heres the stuff:

HA2.jpg

HA1.jpg

It's not so bad to look at, but I think the wood is alot better without it. Does this help with the identification? From what I see, it looks like BBA, which would mean I will NEED a SAE to take care of it. I'd rather it was Staghorn Algae though :grr:

Thanks

Taylor

Edited by Slough Shark