WTB Dark Sand

jvision

For the 230, I'm hoping to find some dark/black sand/gravel. Anyone have an idea where to get about 200# for as inexpensive as possible (no Tahitian Moon for me!). I plan on checking out the various sand-blasting outfits around Edmonton, but if there's somewhere I should stop 1st, I'm all ears.

Depends... is it coPPer slag, or cOOper slag. I'll definitely check out a sample and find out the dissolution specs before I buy anything.

• 3 weeks later...

I beleive I asked about that black sand when I was picking up my crushed quartz at SIL. He said it was copper based and not aquarium safe. The guy at the desk seemed to be familiar with customers coming in for aquarium substrates and knew which products were unsafe for those purposes.

I saw some small black pebble type material at CANAR when I was buying some slate pieces last week. It was in a rack of bins inside the office towards the back west wall. She couldn't verify if these stones were aquarium safe though.

Edited by BooUrns!

I checked out the Canar stuff a while back - thought it'd be too expensive... may as well go for Tahitian Moon! From what I heard about Copper Slag, people have used it successfully in tanks; however, it is quite sharp and shouldn't be used with fish that like to sift through the sand, or dig....

I'll be going with Sil 8 or 9 in my big tank, most likely.

So, it's more like an SIL 9.... Oh, how I wish Tahitian Moon was (more) affordable! That's actually the ideal substrate for what I want. I'll check out the Hagen stuff.... Think I could get it direct from the wharehouse here in Edm?

Try Aquagiant. They have a fine-grained sand similar to the hagen geosystems fine-grain black but it looks darker. I asked him to check if the black stuff was in stock and he found some (I was in buying the pure white crushed quartz). Same size bag (22lbs) as the Hagen for $17.99. I'm sure that's cheaper than the tahitian stuff and comparable to the Hagen.

It's a pity you weren't shopping for this stuff in February. Superpet had the geosystems stuff on for around 12 or 15 per bag.

Same size bag (22lbs) as the Hagen for $17.99. I'm sure that's cheaper than the tahitian stuff and comparable to the Hagen.

It's a pity you weren't shopping for this stuff in February. Superpet had the geosystems stuff on for around 12 or 15 per bag.

Yeah... that's more than I want to spend... I'll be needing around 150lbs, so that'll run me over $100 on sand alone!!

I realize that I will likely have to pay a steep price to get exactly what I want... I still have a couple avenues that I'm checking out before I go the Aquarium-specific sand route.