Some random photos

African_Fever

Some random pics of some fish tonight.

One of my male Ps. saulosi in my breeding group

post-45-1174454023_thumb.jpg

One of the females carrying

post-45-1174454042_thumb.jpg

My new favourites, my motoros (this is only a temporary tank)

post-45-1174454169_thumb.jpg

post-45-1174454202_thumb.jpg

I really commend anyone who can get good pics of Paracyps, I wish my pics were even close to the ones Charles has.

post-45-1174454223_thumb.jpg

Tanganyikan killifish, my lone male. Female disappeared; never found a body out of or in the tank (a bare 20 holding tank). This pic really does him no justice either, I couldn't even imagine how amazing a tank full of these beauties would look.

post-45-1174454275_thumb.jpg

And my other new favourites, one of my Rhamphochromis macrophthalamus. In a holding tank as well until I get their new home in a couple of months (an 8' 320 gallon).

post-45-1174454338_thumb.jpg

Nice looking group of fish Kyle. I had read somewhere that there are 2 diferent variants of P. saulosi in Malawi, one where the females are more on the yellow side, and another where the females are more orange, like yours. Do you know if that's true?

Nice ray

Neil - I have heard that lately as well, but not too sure if it's a new location or just different food. In the third edition of his book, Ad says they're endemic to Taiwan Reef, so unless there is a new location (which I'm sure will be in the 4th edition due out this fall), I'd bet it's the food (and we all know what mine have been fed since birth).

Nev - Yes, these are the fry from the pair that I sold to you. I ended up with 8 males and 6 females, which are all in a 135, with almost all of the males coloured up all the time. They're currently breeding like rabbits (4 carrying), but I imagine that's going to come an end soon as the 15 S. multipunctatus should be breeding any time (I added a proven breeding pair recently so am just counting the days - and by the looks of how the females mouthfuls are changing, I wouldn't be surprised if I maybe have had some activity from the Syno's).

Nice looking group of fish Kyle. I had read somewhere that there are 2 different variants of P. Saulosi in Malawi, one where the females are more on the yellow side, and another where the females are more orange, like yours. Do you know if that's true?

In this case I'm willing to bet that the lighting or the camera flash is making the Saulosi look orange. In fact I'm willing to bet that Kyle's females are a bright banana yellow like their mom.

I over heard from Albert at gold's that they had a different variant of Saulosi in stock. This was over a year ago when I was looking to add more females to my breeding pair. He had mentioned that the females in this variant were quite orange and I wouldn't want them to mix with the Taiwan Reef variant. Someone in Calgary was/is breeding them and had brought them into gold's as a variant of the normal PS. Saulosi.

I have not read anything on a new variant or heard this any where else until now. Do you have a link on the net for this news Neil?

My guess is that a hybrid may have been created with the Metriaclima Estherae where the males keep their genetic traits of a normal PS Saulosi but the females take on more of an orange.

If there is a true variant coming out of the lake, I may have look into getting some!

nev

Edited by nevchewy

It has nothing to do with them being hybrid crosses, IMO most P. saulosi females that I've seen do in fact look like Kyle's. (leaning more towards orange, than yellow) Take a look at the "show female" in the link below:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1

Then the pics of the F1 females in this thread:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=138452

I believe that Kyle will also state that the females that he saw while in Malawi also tended to be more orange, than yellow.

The yellow females that ones sees may in fact just be washed out strains, such as a lot of the M. estherae that one sees, and/or they are being fed low quality food?

I haven't heard or read about any new collection locations for P. saulosi, so that seems to be the only plausible explanation.

Edited by RD.

Nice collection, love the rays.

Very nice pics. I have no experience with killis, but I would have thought that was a rainbow fish not a killi. Sue

I agree the Tanganyikan killifish sort of resembles a rainbow, but this looks like a TK to me. I'm not sure I've noticed these in the lfs around Calgary, where'd you get him?

Cheers

I picked up a pair of the killies at the CAS auction a year ago. If I could ever find more locally, I'd probably clean out the store, but unfortunately I've never seen them for sale in any store.

I suppose it does superficially resemble a Rainbowfish, but I can assure you it's killie all the way!

Nev, I'd guess that any saulosi that are 'more orange' are simply fed astaxanthin to juice up the colour. And unless they've discovered a new reef, the fish are endemic Taiwan Reef. And from what I recal (correct me if I'm wrong), but most of the other fish found at Taiwan Reef aren't found anywhere else. And genetics of a saulosi/estherae cross wouldn't work either; estherae males are born blue, they don't change. I would think that this would really affect the colours of any hybrid mix that you'd see (plus they don't have any dark vertical stripes, so this too would create quite a different colour than a regular saulosi). I'd definitely say that my saulosi under natural light are more orange than yellow; they can look yellow right at the surface where the light washes out much of their orange. And I've never seen a flash that 'intensifies' colours; something like orange would most likely get washed out to a yellow colour IMO.