Cyclying Tank with fish

Fishy

Im on Day 9 of my cycle. (55g tank) Yesterday I had finally got a reading of 0.5 ppm of amnonia. Today no amnonia reading but my nitrites are at 1.0 ppm. Should I do a 10% water change to bring it down a little? Or is 1.0 ppm for nitrites nothing to worry about for now?

I don't think nitrites at 1.0 ppm would do any harm and during the cycling process and until your nitrites are converted to nitrates you are or should always show some nitrites when you test. Water changes will reduce the nitrite concentration however will also delay the final cycling process.

Rick

well the nitrites spiked quite rapidly. Is was hard to read the level with the colour chart but my best guess was at 1.0. I had a zero reading the day before. So I didn't want to take any chances with the fish even though they were cheap :)

This was also my first W/C on this tank from the beggining of the cycle and don't plan on doing at lot of W/C while cyclying it. Only if I have spikes will I do it again.

I don't think a 20% W/C will effect the length of my cyclying and if it did it would be very minimal.

But thx for your input. :)

Edited by Fishy

Im using Biozyme, and Seachem Stability. I have a magnum with a carbon insert and sponge, an AC200 with just foam, and a bio-wheel going. I no longer get amnonia results, just slight nitrites, and slight nitrates. Everything is going along smooth, 15 fish not 1 has been sick or died.

Edited by Fishy

Day 11 Amnonia - 0 Nitrites - 4.0 Nitrates between 50-80 ppm

Did another 20% W/C and gravel clean. Fish still look healthy and active.

i NEED to get a more accurate Nitrate test kit. This one from Hagen sucks. Very hard to determine the colour on the chart given.

Anyone know of any superior test kits?

Edited by Fishy

yeah im using a Hagan kit myself for nitrates and a kit from aquaruim pharma. inc for my nitrite.

I was just wondering if there were better kits out there. I don't like the Hagan kit as the colour chart is very hard to read and get an accurate result. But maybe its just me.

Day 12 Amnonia - 0 Nitrites - 1.5 Nitrates - 50 ppm (around)

I think the last W/C helped as well as the gravel clean. Will check the media on all filters on Day 14 and rinse them in tank water.

All fish are atill eating and looking healthy. Feed twice a day, small pinches, no food left over. Hopefully I get get this fully cycled by the end of the week from using this Seachem stability and Biozyme.

Edited by Fishy

I agree with that, but i want to take the carbon out of the magnum and put in the micron-filter. The carbon was only there for the beggining in case there was anything in my water when I started. I still have the bio-wheel and the AC200 with just a sponge which I will leave.

Have a question with the AC200.....Im just running it with 1 sponge, no carbon or anything else. Should I run it with 2 sponges or is it fine the way it is?