leaving for 5 days

snaggle

I am leaving to TO for 5 days next week I have 3 tanks with fish in them. The two tanks I worried about have fry in them. I have a 33 with about 100 convict fry, a pair of convicts, a red zebra that is for sale, and a 8" common pleco, and a 20g with 4 Julidochromis ornatus, a pair of kribs, 30 krib fry, and a albino BN pleco.

I want to know what is the best way to feed the tanks while I am gone. I have some 3 day feeder blocks that I plan to add one per tank. I could add 2 to the 33g.

Is there any thing else that I can do?

Brad

Be very careful with those automatic two times a day feeders. If you have the opening too wide too much food can enter the tank everytime it is set to feed. Causing a major water problem. This happened to me. If you do get one, try it first for a day to see how much food is distubuted into the tank or onto a piece of paper. This will then tell you if your fish will get enough or too much food per day. Adjust as needed. Hope you have a good trip, and that all fish survive the master away.

If you're really worried about the fry, you could try the weekend feeders. Might help the little guys, might not make a difference. Either way, they'll most likly breed again so I wouldn't stress about it too much. As far as the adults and others go, they'd most likely last a week or more with no food (and even probably be the better going with no food for 3-4 days). I regularly leave my fish for 3-4 days with no food and they do fine. Almost everyone overfeeds their fish on a regular basis, so they've got enough fat stores built up to last a week of fasting.

I don't think I will have time to get one of those the LFS here kinda suck a$$. Do you think that the fry will be ok with a feeder block? I could move the convicts to the 150 I just set up, I just don't want to move them and have to catch then in 2 weeks to sell them. The convict fry are about 1/2" at the largest so I don't want to have then die and spiol the tank while I am gone.

Brad

Edited by snaggle

If you're really worried about the fry, you could try the weekend feeders. Might help the little guys, might not make a difference. Either way, they'll most likly breed again so I wouldn't stress about it too much. As far as the adults and others go, they'd most likely last a week or more with no food (and even probably be the better going with no food for 3-4 days). I regularly leave my fish for 3-4 days with no food and they do fine. Almost everyone overfeeds their fish on a regular basis, so they've got enough fat stores built up to last a week of fasting.

I agree 4-5 days they will likey do ok without any food and some say a fast is good at times for grown fish ... any longer may be questionable with the fry...

Lets try this again :rolleyes: . I justs finished adding a second idea to the post and my computer or the site burped, my recent unsent reply is gone so here we go again.

Another option is to have someone come in and feed your fish. This only works if you know someone willing and someone you trust with both your fish and your home as they need a key, or way into the house. I have had a home sitter come in and feed both my rabbit and my multiple fish tanks, and everything worked out fine. I bought some of those week pill containers- the ones with MTWTFSS sections. Filled them with the alloted fish food per day and had the person feed the fish only that amount as to the day of the week, with detailed instuctions. The pill containers can come in multiple colours, so one can have one colour fry tank, another adult tank so on. This way there is no food waste and contamination which can happen when others feed our fish. This lets you relax knowing the fish are being fed. Hope this idea helps.

Hey Brad,

I've left fry that large for about 4 days with no problems. I've left adults for upto a week with no ill effects. They ate well when I came home though. If your fry don't do well I have several hundred convict fry. I'll be in or close to Wainwright in the future I could bring a few (lots) along. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them anyway. I've promised some to Calgaryfan but should have lots left.

Have a good trip,

Brad

Do you have algae growing in your Krib tank? If you do they should be fine as they browse on it a lot. My Krib tank has a pretty good algae bloom and the little guys are always picking at it. If you don't you have algae in that tank see if you have any on a plant in another tank and move the plant. (or ornament)