Geophagus compatibility

mitsukuni

So I'm still sorting what to put where, but I know I want to set up a geo tank (or two?). I'll use the common store names, since the nomenclature seems to be still in a state of flux...

I'd like to keep some combination of Jurupari, Daemon, Surinamensis, Steindachneri (redhump), Heckeli (thread-finned acara), or even Balzani. Am I asking for trouble to keep any combination of these in one largish tank? How about inter-compatibility? If I had a trio of redhumps for example (aiming for 2f and a m) would there be trouble with agression? I realize in asking this, that fish are individuals, and that personalities can sweep away generalizations, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with keeping some combination of these in their own tank, and what the outcome was?

I've kept G.Surinamensis in the past, and just picked up a little juvie on the weekend, so I've gotten a modest start. Haven't got the 77 going yet (he's in a 55 at the moment), but it soon will be their home for the next couple of years, till they get larger, and get even bigger quarters (hopefully a 180ish)...

Ideas/opinions welcome!

Phil

Edited by mitsukuni

I think you would be ok with everything except the balzani as they require a period of cooler water during the year, a 180 geo tank would be pretty sweet

I was just going to say a 180 Geo tank!!! NICE. Don't know too much about inter or intra-species compatibility as it relates to Geo's but my experience with my jurupari is he's very peaceful and seems more comfortable in lower light situations and when he has a good place to hide. You might want to think about either a planted tank or lots o'bog wood.

Cheers

Hi Phil, nice to meet you last night!

I would say they should be fine if you have lots of wood/territories and get them smaller and grow them up together!

bigger the tank the better.

wait till i have my 115g geo tank going!!! :smokey:

Thanks for the input everybody. I started my 77 renovation tonight, so hopefully this project gets off the ground soon...

Not sure how I'm going to aquascape it yet Mike, but I am definitely doing sand on the bottom, and am currently thinking of using only large driftwood, and lower light levels, but this could change...

Connie, nice meeting you too! BTW, I think, according to what you were telling me last night, your place will have to be a stop on that spring fishroom tour we spoke of... esp if you set up a new geo tank!

I love geos.

Sand is an absolute necessity for happy geos.

As canucklehead indicated, the balzani will require cooler temps than the rest you mentioned. I have thread finned acara in with my balzani as the acara seem to handle cooler water better than most of the other eartheaters. People like Jeff Rapps actually recommend that balzani tanks should not be heated. They will develop better colour and live longer in cooler conditions.

As far as aggression is concerned, they (all geos) are most aggressive with their own kind and mostly during spawning. I have daemon and altifrons in with discus and the discus are never harassed; even though the alts have spawned.

My altifrons and balzani have spawned and I may have some fry available in a couple months time but I live in toon town (saskatoon).

Edited by dcookcan

I've got plans for a 230 Geo tank in the works! :) I'm mixing Red Top Tapajos and Iporangensis w. some wild angels and BN Plecos. I can hardly wait! Sounds like your set up will be awesome :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I had a good day geo shopping.... I got my wildcaught redhumps: 3 females and a male; they are in a planted 27 with sandy bottom and driftwood - hopefully the harem meets with his approval... :shifty:

Also got the last Balzani from a NE LFS... he's way cool. He's in the 77 with my Sev. Almost bought a "g.leucostica" as well, but I decided to practice some restraint...

That puts geos in three tanks now. Oh boy...

Sounds like you guys/gals have some great setups as well... We really should start a Geophagus picture thread, don't ya think?

That puts geos in three tanks now. Oh boy...

what does Mrs Mitsu. think of this?

Heh.. she has her own tank, plus "her own" fish in almost every other tank, so she's okay... (good to have a wife who likes plecos!)