Is one FX5 enough for a 210 gal

whiterose

I'm just looking for some expert advise. I currently have 2 - 55 gal and 1-33 gal all running Aqua Tech filters. I am buying a 210 gal in the very near future and want to get an FX5 for it. I've never had a canister type filter, but what I've read about them the FX5 seems really good. I'm just want to make sure that one is enough for a tank that size. I started my first tank just over a year ago, so I'm learning as I go. Any feedback would be appreciated.

What are you planning to put in your tank? That is probably the biggest determining factor. I have an FX5 on a 90 gallon with a smaller canister filter; mostly to keep the total surface moving but also because there are probably too many larger South/Central Americans in there. Chances are that the FX5 is not enough but if you had planned on only a group of Cardinals or a few Angels or something then I'm sure it would be okay.

Stacey

I will be moving my African cichlids over to this tanks.

3 Sunshine Peacocks,

2 pearlmutts,

2 electric blues,

1 Red Top Blue Cobalt,

1 Nyerere Hap,

1 Jewel Cichlid,

1 Blue colbalt,

1 Venustus,

1 Lemon,

1 Blue Socolifi.

My Wife mentioned something about a sump system but neither of us know anything about them. Is there a good place to find out how to set one up?

Keep inmind a FX-5 can be found at LFS around our area for about $250 -$280.

So a FX-5 is probably cheaper and is less noisy than a sump.

I used to have a sump on my 150g but took it out to run a FX-5 and i'll never go back.

Unless i do a huge tank where i would need Numerous FX-5's. Then a sump would be the only choice realy.

Since the tank will be in my living room, I don't want too much noise. I'm thinking that an FX5 and a Fluval 405 would be a good combination without having too much noise. Cost is going to be a small issue, the 210 gal with glass top, light and pine stand is 1300. But it will be a nice display tank once it's all done with sand and all the rocks.