Pregnancy or Death?

Terrie Lee

I am hoping these pictures work, even though they are very bad. My prized pinapple swordtail females have been showing a gravid spot since I bought them at the auction. They were getting bigger and bigger tummies. I thought it had been too long that they had held the fry and started to get worried. Today when I got home from work one of the girl's tummies had swollen a lot. There is kind of a squareish shape to her tummy when viewed from the side. The front is much more swollen than it was yesterday and has a bubble-like look. The scales are raised in this area, but only this area.

Yesterday and the day before she was less than enthusiastic about her food. Today she expressed no interest.

I so hope that she is just getting ready to drop a really huge batch of fry, but I am a worry-wart.

I see the pictures did not work. Sorry to make you guys go off just my words but I can't seem to get the picture thing to work.

Edited by Terrie Lee

Can you isolate her in a seperate tank? I hope it is fry too. If she hasn't birthed yet it is probably that she doesn't feel safe. Even if it a a plastic bucket foating in the tank with java moss in it, she will feel secluded. At the square stage she is very ready. Sue

I have isolated her in a 16L bucket on the floor. It has a fully-cycled bubble filter in it.

I am hoping the dim light and aloneness will help her give birth if she is going to.

She's dead.

I am actually crying a little. I now wish someone else had gotten her at the auction. Perhaps she would still be alive.

@#$%!!!!

Such a pretty fish.

It sounds like she was a bit egg/fry bound - where a fry gets trapped before the vent, and she can't give birth. You have another one, right? If it happens to any of your other females, sometimes you can gently massage the fry out.

So sorry to hear of your loss. :(

Sorry to here about that, it's always sad to lose a favorite fish.

Darn... I'm so sorry to hear you lost her. Don't blame yourself, though! You're doing the best you can and obviously care a lot about your fish. There might not have been anything you could have done to save her.

GOOD NEWS!

The sister of the dead fish gave birth last night!

Unfortunately I did not isolate her (haven't had any luck with that)

However there is at least one fry zipping about in there! I couldn't cat ch the fry so I moved all of the adults instead.

Will small plecos and corycats eat fry? I couldn't catch them.

FRY! Whoo hoo!

I was soo worried that Veronica (the fish that died last night) died of dropsy and every last one of my fish were going to die.

It sucks that she was fry-bound. I wish I knew to massage her. :(

I named the trio Betty, Veronica and Archie, because he was always chasing after bolth of them.

There's a bunch of fry!

Apparently yanking out all of the adults was a great plan. I can see at least 5 babies!

This makes me so happy!

I'll miss little Veronica, but I always thought Archie would end up with Betty.

-ham- -ham- -ham- BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -ham- -ham- -ham-