Bad fishy!

Terrie Lee

My male prized pineapple swordtail (Archie) has a split in his dorsal fin. There is a white fuzz around the bottom of the split.

Is this just a reaction of the slime coat to the injury or does he have something wrong with him? (I mean a fungal infection or something)

I would say it is a fungal infection and should be treated right away. Do you have salt in the water? There a number of medications you can use. Methelene blue works well but can stain things.

Edited by Sam Chicklets

I would say fuzzy = fungus, but unless its really bad I wouldnt' treat it with medications. I have had this sort of fin problems with my betta. He had developed a bit of fuzz after he injured his dorsal fin. I just kept the water extra clean and watched him and he got better on his own.

Sometimes treating with medications can be worse on a fish. Thats why I suggest just doing lots of water changes and maybe using a product like primafix before resorting to stronger medications.

Archie is getting better there is less fuzz around his wound. he is a bright, happy, and active fish so I think he will pull through.