Tank & Tank Stand Sizes

Sara

To make a long story short, the tank that I want is a full inch in length longer than the tank stand that it's meant to go on. This, to put it mildly, sucks.

tank stand dimensions: 30.5" x 14"

tank: 31.5" x 13.78"

My question is...is there any way that this tank can go on this stand? As it is right now, there would be a half inch overhang for the tank on either side. I assume that this is a bad thing, unless I hear otherwise.

Suggestions? Help!

put a thick piece of sturdy wood in between so ot is resting on the wood instead?

3/4" pilewood should do the trick in my opinion, because each side of the tank would only be hanging off by .5" and .11". With only that small amount hanging on pilewood, it should not be able to warp it at all.

(Im going to assume your aquarium is a flat base, and not the ones that are a little raised like All-Glass does it)

Just take your measurements into Rona or homedepot, grab a piece of pilewood, and they'll do the first couple of cuts free of charge. I had a piece a bit bigger than what you are looking for, but recently threw it under a tank to save space, and that tank won't be getting moved for atleast 2 weeks. I think they also sell 4'x2' pieces of 3/4", so you might be able to save lots of money by starting out with a smaller piece. Or, with the amount of people that use this board, you might be able to find someone here in a wood working trade that just happens to have a piece sitting around.

Malawi luver- i wouldn't use a regular dresser for a tank that big. I have had 2 10gs on my dresser(solid pine) but i wouldnt' put anything much bigger then that. I wouldnt' risk putting a 80g on a dresser that isnt' built for taking that sort of weight. I personally wouldnt' think it would be worth the risk of breaking,especially since the dresser doens't even fit the tank

Sara- i would agree that adding a piece of wood to the top of the stand should help out, your tank isn't over hanging too much.

Yeah, foam would help too. I haven't bothered with foam, but it is a good idea.

M-L: I put a 33gallon on a dresser, and I was a little concerned about that. an 80gallon would weigh...320kg atleast. (1kg-1L)(4L-1gal) Those are just basic numbers I use when estimating weight. Plus, you have the vinyl tirm on the left and right sides, which would just make it sag in the middle, unless you leveled those off.

Sara's is fine, but M-L's is too risky, and personally I would never put a tank that large on it. Its looks to me like press board with a vinyl cover, and when water gets under there, and makes the press board damp, its going to start to crumble and then the tank will be on your floor... Household furniture is not meant to have a lot of weight on it, and is not meant to ever get wet more than a few drops here and there.

I wouldn't put any tank that dresser, maybe a 10g but thats it.Definately not a 50g either. If it is made out of pressed board(MDF,or any other kind of fiber board) i wouldnt' risk putting anything on it, as water and fiber board dont' mix.

Im 100% with Val. I have a 5.5gallon on a solid pine dresser, and I had a 33gallon on a 20yr old dresser, we think made of oak because of its weight. I Have a plastic catcher on the 5.5 gallon to avoid moisture, and the 33gallon was only there for a few months. I moved it as soon as I got my all-glass stand. Im sure you could make a stand, just read some DIY sites.

Im sure you could make a stand, just read some DIY sites.

If you're still in school, and are taking shop, get some plans off the net and ask your teacher. He/she might just let you do it.

Hi, as reflected by other posts as to the dresser for aquarium stand use, it would not be wise. The dresser is made of pressboard and the wrong type of hardware for this application fore that reason alone it does not have the structural integrity to bear the weight of the tank, water (at 10 lbs/gallon-imperial), gravel, canopy..etc.

2x4 or 2x3 with .75" good 1 side plywood or even melamine board finished properly can all be purchased at a good retailer and likely be cut to size at a minimal cost. I usually finish the wood stands with melamine paint and or put on a stone tile face on the shelves.

Garhan