oscars and convicts

humpty

i have an 80g tank running an ac 110, I am slo getting a Rena XP3 for this tank. I do weekly water changes of 25-50%. It is currently stocked with 2 6" oscars and a 6" pleco. I plan to get rid of the pleco it is just a matter of finding a good home. Do you think i would be able to fit a convict in there or is that opushing it?

Convicts are pretty cheap. I don't think it will work out long term, but if it doesn't , just consider them a little more expensive feeder. I have about twenty of them in with 3 oscars right now, and they are getting along, but the oscars are only around 3-4 inches and the convicts are about half that. I expect the convicts will be food eventually.

I ave seen large oscars eat other large oscars so I would not recomend it. The two oscars that I saw where in a 90g tank, they started with 4 sold 2 at 4" at 6" the two started fighting and buy the end of class there was only one left not even bones.

Brad

If you provide driftwood and other hiding spots, it should be no problem. Convicts are very fast and tough fish. You may find at breeding time (any time you mix male+female), the cons may be way worse aggressors than the oscar. You'll probably see them steal the food and hide away with it too.

Sue

well i got a big piece of driftwood and a few pieces of slate, so i have made a little cave rocky area with a few hiding spots then there is the driftwood and i put together some more slate on the other side for hiding. I also have quite a few fake plants and a couple live ones.

So i did go ahead and get the convict. He is doing fine the oscars are leaving him laone. Unfortunately the oscars are still fighting each other. I might have to get rid of one of them.

I have a 12" tiger Oscar with a 4" green terror, I also had a 5" peacock in my 90 gal , the Oscar killed the peacock last week, after 6 months of no interest, just decided he should die! that being said my Oscar really likes the terror and protects it like crazy! the peacock was probably messing with it again and got dead!he didn't eat him,just beat him to death! However consider that tank with a 12 inch Oscar like mine or a fully grown one at 16 inches, if you have 2 of them @ 12 inches long in a 48" long tank, they can never be more than 24" away from each other while turning around, thats pretty tight quaters for two grumpy fish! If they are fighting now it probably won't get better!

I had a con in my tank it was fine with my oscar but it fought my terror! the terror looks better so it stayed! I would suggest the two smaller cichlids and return one oscar!

The other issue is bioload, wait till your Oscars reach a foot long, they are crap factories, you'll spend all of your free time doing water changes(battleing nitrates)!

Hope this helps, good luck! :thumbs:

I have a a pair of oscars with a convict, and sometimes they chase him, but for the most part he's fine. I have a pair of mating convicts that are of decent size if your interested let me know.