Going to the coast

Qattarra

I'll be in Victoria in May, my daughter was telling me that she finds critters like purple star fishes when she goes. I don't have a salt water settup but many on here do, I may set something up like a 25 for this. I wanted to know , can I bring things back like the starfishes? Maybe express post them to myself? Is it legal? What's the best way to do this? Sue

Not sure about the legallity but I think that it would be tough to keep your tank cold enough for them, that is unless you mean purchasing them from a store there and shipping them here, then I believe that would be perfectly fine.

I don't know the legality of it all, but I believe the average water temp off Victoria's coast is 10C; so, unless you're setting up a chiller, not many of those critters would do well for long.

One of my prof's when I went to Bamfield had a tank at home of native coldwater fish (he was from the U of Washington), and he was a mess the day his wife called to tell him his chiller had failed and he lost his entire tank that had been established for over 5 years. So a chiller is definitely necessary, and even keeping them cold enough (but not too cold) during shipping might be an issue. Checking about permits would be a necessity, but don't count on any starfish for a 25 as I'm pretty sure most get to at least 12" across (with the pink and sunstars getting to around a meter).

Funny you mention going to Vic, I'm actually out here right now for the week!

Alright, sounds like torturing these poor critters is out of the question. I keep my home cool but not cold enough, and I don't have a chiller, not for fish tanks anyway (no room for beer otherwise lol). I'll have to check out fish stores then.

• 2 weeks later...
Alright, sounds like torturing these poor critters is out of the question. I keep my home cool but not cold enough, and I don't have a chiller, not for fish tanks anyway (no room for beer otherwise lol). I'll have to check out fish stores then.

To be honest I know of at least one person who brought home a rose tip anenome (I believe thats the name) from the ocean. It lived in his tank for 1.5 years (tropical tank at 25 degrees C). The only reason it died is because of a tank crash that was a result of an unrelated matter. Many of these animals can acclimate and get used to different temperatures of water.Therefore I would say if you find something nice why not try. Its not like they are endangered.

Thats just my opinion.

Good luck.

I think it is illegal to remove wildlife from the ocean, just like it would be illegal to grab a coyote puppy out of the wild and keep it as a pet. I am not sure but I would definitely be doing some research. I think the fish cops in BC would be all over that.