Apistos

corrosionjerry

Well my Apistos spawned and mother has hatched her eggs and I can see her keeping about 5 little wigglers in check! There may be more but that is all I see at any given time... The question I have is more for the future not the present... These little guys are still in a long planted 20 gallon that has the male and one other female in it... I was not quick enough at getting the cave, Female and eggs out of the tank...

Will these little guys survive in the original tank..

How the heck do you people move the the cave to the fry tank... My substrate is brown play sand and I used 3" pots burried in the sand with only about 1/3 of it exposed... just enough room for moma and pops

Any advice would be welcome for my next batch..

What i do if my fish have eggs and i take to long to get the babies out and they are all over the place. I either wait till mom heards them all into the cave/flowerpot. And steal the flower pot out, cover both ends.

At one point i had to suck them out with the syphon.

I have also used and ear cleaner, sucker thing. Cut the end off so the hole was big enough and just sucked them out like that. With no harm done to the fish.

Im not sure on them surviving or not. But congrats.

I hope that helps.

Jen

I once raised a couple generations of Cackatoo Apistos in a 5 GAL. TANK! I was pressed for space, so I just left the fry in there. Once they grew to about 1/2" they spawned again, and raised those babies too! I was shocked that they didn't kill the first batch! :o

I have also done this, more intentionally, with 20 gal tanks. You should be OK, Jerry.

I still see about the same amount of fry.... So I am going to leave as is for now and see what happens...

My guess would be the fry tank would be better if I was looking for a larger survival rate... For now I am happy with just a few and I will try to build on that by excersising a better method next time I notice one of the females changing coloring and staying near the entrance of the cave.

I dont think I read in any of the litterature how often these fish spawn... Anyone know?