Rosey Red Minnows

AllGo'n'Show

Anyone tried breeding these for feeder fish?

Heard they are quite easy to breed as they do not need water conditions changed and they are so cheap. Going to be buying a tank and setup just to be breeding feeder fish and want to try these out.

My reason for using them for feeder fish and breeding them is so I have a much lesser chance of introducing parasites into my Channa gachua's tank, I can feed and fatten the minnows up with healthy flake food, so they are a good meal for the channa and not just an non-fed, skinny, parasite infected, lfs feeder.

Let me know your personal experience if you have tried them.

Looking for something easy to breed but also to put into some other tanks around the house as well. Convicts would be a good choice.

Convicts would be a good choice as long as the other tanks around your house are semi-aggressive. I wouldn't put them in community tanks.

Rosey red minnow are not all that hard to breed. I have done it. They were the first fish that I had got to have babies. Even before my livebearers. The only problem is getting healthy stock. As they are feeder fish they are not treated well at all in the LFS's. Many carry fin rot and other disease. They are cheap but at the cost of treating the diseases they carry the cost way outways the benifits. Also as egg layers they have a fairly high rate of fry mortality.( at least mine did, out of 100+ fry only one made it to adulthood, but then again I was very new to fish, didn't even have a heater for my tank, they bred in cool water.) Males are also territorial and need a place to protect their eggs, male looks after them, or mine did. Mine had a half a clam shell and he would protect it very well, even head bunting a stick I used to check the shell with eggs. Kong as I called my male protected two batches of eggs, not the fry- they are fair game for lunch( both females and males will eat them). If you are still wondering about the rosy minnow there is a wonderful site of the web called Robyn's, usually if you type in Rosy red minnow into google or yahoo search it will be one of the first ones. Very informative. If you really want to feed live fish to your fish,(I don't believe it the practice but some fish need it to survive in the aquarium) I think I would try a livebearer either a guppy or a platy maybe. They give you babies every 28-30 days and the fry are live so no need to look after eggs. One male and one female would get you started (saving some babies for breeding and then you have your source for your meat eating fish).