Marital Dispute??

BigA

Well, my newest batch of krib fry have been free sweiiming for about two weeks now and I think mom and pop are ready for a divorce. At first, mom woudn't let dad anywhere near the babies and he sat on the other side of the tank and sulked. They seemed to reconcile for a little bit about the middle of last week, but over the weekend the opposite transpired. Now daddy is guarding the kids and mom is hiding in the plants on the other side of that tank. This never happened before with the other batches of fry, although there were less fry, and I'm not sure what to do. Is this a permanent divorce? Or will a reconciliation happen?

If you can, separate them for a while - give them a rest. After 2-4 weeks, reintroduce them. Should be all fine, then.

They most likely need a break from constant spawning/parenting. It doesn't matter who you take out. You can try different partners, but I'm not sure it'll help. If you need a "babysitter" for a bit, I can help out.

By taking one out, will it reduce the aggression of them any? I originally had planned for them to be in a community tank, but their aggressiveness during breeding forced me to keep it as a species tank. Will that go down as they are not in the same tank anymore? Or could they be extra mean anyway?

No, they should calm down as singles. They're great community fish when not breeding.

Couldn't you just put some dithers in with them so they focus aggresion on them instead of each other? IE. some rainbows or tiger barbs?

Edited by RDFISHGUY