female and male bettas

snaggle

I have two female and one male bettas Would it be posible to add all three to my 150 with out a problem. In the tank right now I have 15 Julidochromis transcriptus, 4 Julidochromis ornatus, 4 medium size guppy fry, and a bolivien ram. I am hoping to beed the bettta eventualy I just need to colect alot of large jars.

Brad

I had a male and female in a 25 gal planted with lots of hiding spots. The male bashed up the female pretty bad. It got to where you would never see her, so I pulled her out. Might work in a large tank with lots of hides though.

Brad

I don't think it would matter how big the tank is, the male, once he sees the females, would beat them like they were rented mules. Betta breeding is normally done under close supervision, when both the male and the female want to get "some," with the female being removed when necessary for her survival.

Edited by HOSStile

I don't think it would matter how big the tank is, the male, once he sees the females, would beat them like they were rented mules. Betta breeding is normally done under close supervision, when both the male and the female want to get "some," with the female being removed when necessary for her survival.

I agree.

I wouldn't breed them in less than a 10 gal. Here's a website with great information.

http://www.plakatthai.com/

If you keep them in the same tank you need to completely seperate them . In female only you will likely find that one will beat the other one up too. I keep my bettas (most of them) in masson jars in a 20 gal. with enough water arround the jars so I can heat the outer water to keep the inner water warm. I change 100% of the jar water every week. I used to do 95% but found it was easier to do 100. I also keep a thumbnail size piece of almond leaf in each jar, replacing it as needed. The bettas I got before Christmas were quite dammaged with finrot, most of them are now almost fully recovered.

In the articles for breeding, Preecha will discribe all the ins and outs. Great history there too. Sue

Thanks Sue the 2.5g tanks where just for houseing them. I don't know when I will be breeding them, I need to get around 100 large jars first and I want to build my betta disply fo my future pet store first.

Brad