Big Surprise!!!

BigA

I got home from work yesterday and decided to clean my tank. Do the usual. Clean glass and change the water. Decided it about time to change my filter media as well. Lo and behold when I look at the canister for the filter (Rena XP3) I see something moving erratically in it. Ok. maybe it's some sort of gunk caught in a current of some sort. Upon closer inspection (...these are loafers! Remember Ranier Wolfcastle simpson fans?) I find out that I have not 1 but two different species of fry in my canister. Krib fry from when I was priming this filter on their tank about 6 weeks ago, and 1 lonely platy fry.

Now here''s where I need help. How can I prevent this from happening again? Is it possible to get a guard or sponge of some sort to put over the intake? Should I separate my female platy's into breeding traps or another tank to grab the rest of the fry if one of them is dropping? Or wait 3 or 4 weeks, assuming that no more fry made it and then move them? How do I know which one it is? I tried to ID the preggers one a few weeks ago, but to no avail, I couldn't tell.

Thanks for any help you can give.

I use aqua clear sponges over the ends of my power filters on fry tanks. It adds extra filteration as well. The best way to get it to hold is to get the sponge fairly wet freeze it and drill a hole in it slightly smaller than the diameter of the intake intake on the filter.

I use the same Method as Sam Chicklets, though his method of "drilling" is much more elaborate than mine. I just use a knife to make a hole almost to the opposite end of the spoge, then it fits snugly over the intake, no prob. The only this that kind of sucks is that any of the larger debris that would usually go through the intake and end up inside the filter just gets stuck on the outside of the sponge and I have to clean it alot.

I use it because my Kuhlis like to hug the intake on a regular basis.

Would you prefer to clean the sponge on your intake or the complete canister filter? I use the AC sponges on ALL my intakes for mechanical filtration and just squeeze out the sponge when performing a water change. On my canisters I usually go at least 1 year between complete filter cleanings.

Glad I read this ... good alternative to regular sponge filters...

I have had trouble in my tank that has brig snails in it with an HOB filter... the snails occasionaly like to go on the intake end and wind up being stuck on it and die... I will give the A/C sponge method a go.

I am surprised that enough water gets through the sponge to adequetly feed the HOB...

I use AC sponges on all my HOB intakes now. I put them on while the filters were running and I didn't even notice any slowdown on the output of the filter. Works great. Only thing I wish is that I could find sponge that would camouflage a bit better. LOL I buy larger sponges and just cut them to the size I need, BTW... cheaper that way, I think.

I use AC sponges on all my HOB intakes now. I put them on while the filters were running and I didn't even notice any slowdown on the output of the filter. Works great. Only thing I wish is that I could find sponge that would camouflage a bit better.

You can buy black sponges that looks a bit better then the white/brown of the AC sponges. Big als carries black sponges in different sizes. I also bought a chunk of black sponge at AquaGiant that I use on my filter now.