Where would I put floss???

thefishdude

I just went out and got some filter floss to add to one of my units. I understand that the floss will get much of the smaller material that may pass through foam. Currently I am running a Fluval 403 & AC500 combo filtration system on my 90 gallon. In which filter would I put the floss? And where in the filter - top, middle, or bottom?

Edited by thefishdude

Where the sponge compartments go. Watch it though. I have been really against floss these days as it seems to get stuck in impellors. You can use it in both if you like though.

I now cover mine in a prefilter. You can get a small diamter plastic plastic sheets from walmart for .99. It is for some kind of craft. I think the lady asked me how long I have been hook and needling for. I had no idea what she was talking about. :ph43r:

I have used it in both canister and HOB filters. Place it in the bottom as a prefilter. It IMHO is more suitable for use in HOB due to easy access to change it out frequently. In a canister you have to watch for reduced flow from the output and then take it apart to change. It does a pretty good job however is pain in a canister. Keep it away from the impeller.

Rick

Water should pass through media on a largest to smallest gradient, ie., the most coarse media first and the finest last. This way the largest particles are trapped by the largest filter before it reaches the floss, which will trap just about any suspended particles. If all the water goes through the floss first it will get clogged and render your unit useless.

My eheim canister is a good example. Ceramic cylinders at the bottom, medium gravel next, followed by large-pore plastic floss then the micro-floss in question to top it all off as a final scrub for the water.

quote>>Ive put it into my AC500 between my sponges like you say...<<....

Good method. The "floss" will fine clean the water before it gets to the top [ second] foam. this will allow the top foam to be a better bio-logical filter / and stay cleaner.. :wub:

Keep an "eye" on the floss. this stuff is very efficient in trapping / becoming saturated with debre. If you see your top 500 foam rising [ :w00t: ] time to change the floss!!

Got to love the large media area in the 500's.

The plastic Sheets are called "Knitting mesh/sheets". Great stuff!! 8 x 10 or 11 x 14 inch sizes are available, differnt colors. Cheap!! cut to fit, does not contaminent the water [ non-toxic].

Putting floss in a canister filter... hmmmmm. Rick & Rudy & CptC. have said it best ; be careful.

Let us know how you like the stuff.

Smokey

B)

• 2 weeks later...

Pardon Me, I mispoke...

What I actually have is the sheet kind. I split a large sheet with a buddy of mine and he ended up with the packaging so I wasn't sure what it was called. Turns out it's a carbon meshing for trapping the little stuff. Works really well in the AC500, will keep an eye on it though for clogging.

Thanks for the tips... :thumbs: