I need help!!!!

turtlechick

I'm in Hinton....I got this wonderful little turtle from fishbrain, but I can't seem to get the Fluval 404 to clean the water properly. I've tried everything including spending LOADS of money on new media and everything...I've had her for about a month now, and have been running a puny little filter that I have to change the cartridge in 2X a day, along with the Fluval, and the little filter is doing all the work....will someone PLEASE come over and take a look at it for me? Pretty please? See if I'm doing something wrong..........

Just 3 simple steps to "fixing" a fluval canister filter:

1 Place it in a larger container as for transport.

2 Drive it out to the range or other suitble place.

3 Load your firearm with a cartridge at least 38 or larger and fire at will .

I have just a teeny weeny little bit of anamosity towards these lol. When they work they work well , but when they start acting up gggrrrrrr. Good luck with yours. Sue

Make sure your hoses are free and clear of molted turtle shell. A canister may not be the best filter for turtles (i.e., the longer hoses may get blocked more easily), you might want to think about a large AC unit or HOB Magnum-style filter.

Cheers

I don't know anything about filters......could you suggest something and I'll start searching for one in the sale items section?

Also, what price range am I looking at?

Depends on your setup: an Aquaclear300 is great if you have the water all the way up, with a basking area above the tank, but if not, then the marineland HOT magnum (also at Walmart under a diff name but same thing and priced at $100)) is a good choice. I used it for years on my turtles, but recently switched back to an AC since its so much easier to haul apart... as Mike said though, when the turtles shed those large scutes, they can block things in a hurry, depending on their size...

Just for clarification, we are talking red-eared sliders or something similar?

Edited by mitsukuni

I had the same problem with my 304 one time shut it down take off the top turn it around 180 degrees reinstall lid it should work fine the water is just tring to go through backwards. The big hole in the top has to line up with the screened hole on the lid of the 1st media compartment.

Does all this make sense?? :boxed:

She's a mud turtle......only about 8 inches of water in the tank......I don't think the lid on my canister will go on any other way.....maybe I'll try though. I don't even know if I have all the media compartments set up correctly........I know one should be empty right? this is why I need someone to come and look at it for me...I'm so clueless :wacko:

A fluval 404 motor will only sit on the canister in one position. Don't try to reverse it as the power cord recess might possibly get damaged.

Without trying to be rude, I'm assuming you have taken all measures neccessary to prime the unit and expel all air that was trapped inside? You have removed the well cover and taken out and cleaned the impeller assembly? Disconnected the hoses from the aquastop and run water through them in the sink to determine if they are blocked? Is your media installed correctly? I have had issues with a 304 where the charcoal was getting through the trays and blocking the intake from the media containers to the motor inlet.

Depending on the age of your canister, it is either a 404 or a 404 MSF (which has slight modifications and is similar to the present 405). You could take it to your local LFS and see if there is someone there who would be willing to help you evaluate what is causing the problem and how to fix it. Or you could contact Hagen for warranty repair (they have a plant in Edmonton so it should not take too long).

Best of luck!

Edited by BooUrns!

I'm assuming you have taken all measures neccessary to prime the unit and expel all air that was trapped inside?

Good point, I've heard of people having trouble getting they're Fluvals going because they've forgotten to prime. After each filter check, I just fill my 204 with water, place the motor back on, reconnect to the hoses, manually pump two or three times, plug it in and adjust my flow. It always picks up where it left off. I was thinking about a sponge filter too, but I was wondering if turtles (or some turtles) would just tear it apart(?). Good luck.

Cheers