first tank

so I finally got my first tank I am so excited it will be a coupla weeks to a month iuntil i can ste it up. it is REALLY dirty is there any thing i shouls avoid using to clean it before i put water in it? i was thinkin water and vinegar or something safe? now all i need is a lid and a heater

I usually use water and vinegar for any hard water spots. Then I just rinse and rinse and rinse and rinse... If you use bleach for any reason just make sure you use a dechlorinator in one of the rinses.

Did you decide to go with a fishless cycle? How big is your tank?

Awesome, the first tank is awesome, especially when you have a kick @$$ site like this to learn stuff from lol. I used vinegar and water, and a carpenters knife (blade) to get all the hard stuff off. Good luck.

AAHHHH, I remember my first tank. 40g bowfront. Many, many years ago. My first fish...(drumroll please, toirtis won't believe this) PACUS :rofl:. The ugliest ones I could find this side of the border. I really liked them. One of them was suicidal, always making attempts at ending her life. But that is a total hijack...Sorry.

You will remember this tank just a fondly. Vinegar is a good cleaner. And safe. There is also that cleaner everyone likes (it is a carpet cleaner but safe, just need lots of rinsing). I cannot think of the name of it but Pam down at Riverfront can probably help you out with that. I cannot wait to see your set up.

I use thi stuff called Ice Machine Cleaner from Calgon perfectly safe for fish after a good rinse. It's very strong stuff needs to be diluted. I believe it is phosphatic acid.

Edited by Sam Chicklets

it is only a 30 gal but it was free. as for a fishless cycle i have done nothing yet it will most likley be at least a month until i am back in town (work related_) and my little woman cannot be bothered with doing ANYTHING with it. but i am excited. . . green terror, clown loaches, bristle nose, and ??? here i come

Edited by nchips

it is only a 30 gal but it was free. as for a fishless cycle i have done nothing yet it will most likley be at least a month until i am back in town (work related_) and my little woman cannot be bothered with doing ANYTHING with it. but i am excited. . . green terror, clown loaches, bristle nose, and ??? here i come

Finally Sammie! Good job. I did the same as the rest - vinegar, a blade, and lots of scrub/rinse. If you didn't get a top with it, we'll take a run to River and they can make you a nice glass top. They made Morhua a nice one, which you can check next time you're up this way. So is it a 3 foot tank, or a taller 30", like the one that I hadn't filled up last time you were up? (its got fish in it now)

You really have to see Tanya's 33 now... it'll be right up your alley. :thumbs:

What have you decided on for substrate?

Remembering back to first tanks - shudder... I won't even tell you what I had in a ten gallon. Then I got a 27 and thought it was so BIG... heheh. Then I got even bigger fish. :rolleyes: We'll help you not to make the same mistakes we did!

Phil

Edited by mitsukuni

sand and river rock only

Hey nchips, love the avatar photo ... too funny. Go with Target play sand from Totem (or Home Depot) ... if I remember correctly it's only $5 for a 20lb bag (or something like that). Before putting it in your tank, rinse it, then rinse it again, when your finished rinsing it the second time, rinse it again. I have it in my 20 g planted and I love it. I'll likely use sand from now on.

Cheers

Edited by Morhua