Finally, she is holding :)

Vallisneria

Well, i looked in my tank today and finally saw one of my femlae lab perlmutts holding. Lets hope she holds untill she is full term. Its been a while since she has had a mouthful, but all the other times she would swallow within about 1 week. I think she was still to young. I did find 2 perlmutt fry in my main tank so somebody was breeding(although i never saw anyone with a mouthful, must have been a tiny batch). Its also been a long time since the last time i saw a female perlmutt holding. I think having 8 rusties in there put a cramp on the perlmutts breeding. :( Now that the rusties are gone i'm hoping the perlmutts step it up :)

Well i'm keeping my fingers crossed, hope this batch makes it :D Just thought i would let everyone know, i can't wait to finally have perlmutt babies :smokey:

Congrats, Val. As for the couple of fry, I know my Labidochromis mbamba have appeared to be suddenly holding off and on, but upon closer inspection, there will be only one or two dark fully formed fry visible in the sac. Not sure how they hide them, but I suspect they spit them somewhere in the tank, only to pick up a couple some time later when larger (and probably only a few left then...)

WEll it seems she has eithr swallowed or spit out the eggs again. I checked the tank this morning and it doesn't look like she is holding anymore, or atleast doesn't have enough in her mouth to look like she is holding. Does anyone know why she may be doing this? Its obvious that these fish can produce(i have 2 fry) but why isn't she holding to term, or even for a few weeks so i could atleast save some fry.

The fish should be mature. I've had them for about 1 1/2 years now. I watch them spawn, and can see that the female is holding but then after a couple days she either spits or swallows the eggs and looks like she isnt' holding anymore.

I"m thinking i need to try some new females. Do you guys think that would help?maybe just this one female is weird.

From what i can tell i have 1 dom. male, 1 sub dom. male and 2 females and one smaller(female) that isnt' as big as the rest and usually gets picked on.. PLus the 2(1") fry.

Any ideas???